Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #1 
stipweir

white spot near gill please help!!

My beta has a white spot... Not ich, he is in a 30gallon tank heated 78-80 deg, filtered planted etc.. all by himself (kills anything we add.. so I quit trying to force friends lol). He is 2 years old.. has had severe fin rot (developed when we moved a year ago and he went from a 70 gallon to a 2 gallon (all we could get at the time before getting the 30 up and running). H

So now my problem started as a single weird white spor, then his eyes clouded, now it looks Luke his scales are peaking on the side the spot is, I have tried a full treatment of jungle fungus tabs, now trying melafix,... Today seems worse... I have added aquarium salt tested water everything is good... But nothing is helping... :(
stipweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #2 
stipweir

I have pics... But cant figure out how to get them in here with my phone
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #3 
sainthogan

It could be a parasite of some sort or an infection. Aquarium salt might be what you should use here. Anything with -fix in the name is generally not recommended here because it contains tea tree oil and could coat the labyrinth lung and cause the fish to suffocate.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #4 
stipweir

I have used salt didn't do anything... The mels fix was kindof my last resort... I thought it was a parasite but its one spot... Like a pimple near his gill, the scales around it were raised... Day threewith melafix the white spot seems to be gone... But there is a large bump on the side of his head where it was... And the cloudy eye seems to be getting better today... A little bbit... I'm thinking its a bad fungal (one I have never seen...) Or I can't remember. The name starts with l and is a virus that ust needs to run its course? He has always been shy so his attitude is the saame... Never flaired much since the day I got him... And his appetite is the same..... It's the weirdest thing I've seen in a beta in 10 years... I'm going ti try again on the pics....
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #5 
stipweir

Here us a link .. there are 5 pics.. 2from yesterday showing the spot... 3from today showing the lump... Tried to get them clear. But its hard with a cell..
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #6 
stipweir

Sooo now spot is back... Trying parasite meds now.... Anybody else have ANY ideas.... ??
Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #7 
stipweir

In case anyone else has this problem.... The only thing I can come up with is possible paracitic nematodes... The spot is still there... The cloudy eye is slowly faiding.... He is always much better after dosing with melafix.... Even tho every one on the site says not to use it.... He seems much better when I do... The large bump has go.e down, scales aren't raised... So mystery sickness is hopefully over...