Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #1 
alicia1024

Talking my bettas

hey guys! i have a male and female betta. the female was a baby when i got her and the male was already big, i have them in tanks next to each other and my male is doing the bubble nest...and the female is probably 2 inches...are they ok to breed? they seem very interested in each other...please educate me on them, thanks!
alicia1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #2 
fish keeper 2013

Breeding bettas is no simple task. It is stressful for both sides, requires alot of equipment, and is no garuntee to work.

Are you prepared to care for and be responsible for the fry? Bettas can have many fry at a time. Keep in mind that each betta needs a seperate container...

Breeding bettas requires extensive research, dedication, and money. If you are prepared for all this, yes you can breed them. If not, I wouldn't do it.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Are you also prepared to deal with seriously injured fish in case a breeding attempt doesn't work? (Females have been known to kill males during the introduction period). It takes a great deal of patience and time as well. From what I've heard, you're supposed to put them in the same tank with the female in a breeding box for a few hours, then take her out, then reintroduce her again, and so forth many times. Then you let her out, and see how it goes, then take her out, then put her back in, the take her out, until it looks like a breeding attempt might work. But even then, it's still not a guarantee that one won't end up killing or seriously injuring the other. And if you don't take the female out in time after breeding, she'll end up eating all the eggs. After the fry are hatched, you can keep them all together for a short time, but then you need to separate them into their own tanks - they can have hundreds in one spawning!!!
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #4 
alicia1024

i have been reading on it and watching videos people have been posting of them trying it and it being successful...so i wanted to try it myself...i've successfully bred my mickey mouse fish, and i love the babies :) so i wanted to try for some baby bettas...and yes i am prepared to take care of my bettas if they become injured or sick in the process...im wondering if my female is too small though
Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #5 
alicia1024

i know im supposed to take her out when their finished and then take out the male when to fry hatch and are free swimmers...but how do i care for the babies after that?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #6 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1024 View Post
i know im supposed to take her out when their finished and then take out the male when to fry hatch and are free swimmers...but how do i care for the babies after that?
I do know that babies need warmer, cleaner water than adults (someone here once said daily water changes). I also know that need to be fed live food until a certain age, but I'm not sure how old that is. I'm also at which point you have to separate them. There is a page in this forum that is specifically for breeding Betta fish. Perhaps you could post your questions there and get a better response than on this page.
http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #7 
alicia1024

thank you sainthogan
i shall try that lol...i just joined this page today lol still dont know my way around...
Old 06-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #8 
fish keeper 2013

What are you planning to do with the fry? Sell them?
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Babies need daily water changes and live foods at least twice a day, are you prepared for that? Do you have all of your live food cultures ready? Do you have the equipment, space, and time to deal with 200 bettas? Do you understand and are you prepared for the fact that you could lose one or both of the parents, and not even get babies? What type of bettas are they? If they are the common veiltails they are undesirable and will be very hard to selll.

Sorry if this comes across as rude, I don't want it to be that way, I just want to provide some questions you should ask yourself. :)
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote