Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Frozen Bloodworms

So I got some frozen bloodworms, but they completely melted in the car on the way home! (My dad insisted on stopping by Staples...) Will they still be alright? They're completely frozen right now though...

Also, one of my Thailand bettas refuses to eat pellets, he will only eat live and frozen foods. He used to chew up a pellet then spit it back out. Now, he won't even look at them. Will a diet consisted of live larvae and a variety of frozen foods be okay for him? It's really frustrating trying to get him to eat NLS, I've been trying for quite awhile X]
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I suppose they're okay. Was there any mold?

And yes, of course it'll be fine. I mean, in Thailand they must be feeding their beautiful bettas gourmet food, right? (; It's easy to get live food there anyways. Especially if you're giving a variety, it'll be just great.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

No mold :) Thanks! :D
Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't know... The melting may have provided time for bacteria to grow. Frozen fish food should be held to the same standards as human food, thats why we don't thaw meat until we are ready to use it. What brand are they? I would like to warn you that if they are San Francisco Bay Brand frozen bloodworms you should be very cautious, one member on here lost two fish from parasites (and the following dropsy) that was introduced by them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

Oh.. they are San Francisco Brand... I'll wash them thoroughly. Would boiling water get rid of the nutrients? When it completely thawed out, I hadn't opened the bag yet.

Last edited by DoctorWhoLuver; 06-29-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea... And I don't know if that will kill everything. I'm not saying feeding them to your fish these will kill them, but there is the possibility. Logisticsguy on here knows more about this then I do, you should shoot him a pm and ask him to look at this thread.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #7 
Aquacrazed

I have the same problem with my Thailand betta not eating pellets (NLS). I think it's because of two things, he doesn't like the taste or not used to it and he doesn't like the hardness. I crush the pellets and he seems to be eating it just fine now.
Aquacrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #8 
logisticsguy

Well they melted and were re frozen fairly quickly but Matt is correct about re freezing food. The possibility bacteria got going is very low with such short time period but there is a small risk and the quality of the worms may be lower. If you went to a restaurant and ordered a burger that was frozen thawed then refrozen would you eat it? What would Gordon Ramsay say? In the end your worms should be just fine but see how he does after the first feeding of them, only feed a couple the first time just in case.

Some Thai born bettas are never fed pellets and it can be a strange food for them that takes some getting used to. My giant boy had an awful time getting used to them I had to clean up the bottom with a turkey baster constantly. He is ok with them now (eats 20+ NLS daily) but it took 2 months. Soaking them or adding a bit of garlic guard can help.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #9 
DoctorWhoLuver

Thank you for the help guys. Lol, scared of what he'd say x] I definitely see the sense in that. I've fed for them for two days and the fish seem fine so far, but I'll wait and see.
Lol, it gets frustrating sometime I'll try to mix in a bit of crushed NLS with the frozen foods and hopefully he will accidentally eat some x]
Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #10 
JamieL

I hope you dont mind if I hijack your thread instead of starting a new one, but its about the same topic...I actually came to start a thread about frozen food, but since you asked it here I was wondering myself if bettas NEED pellets or if a diet of a variety of frozen food would be fine. Mine doesnt really like the pellets either, and I don't mind feeding frozen. i smash a cube in a freezer baggie, scoop some out with a rubber infant spoon and set it on the counter for a few minutes to thaw. then when my fish sees the spoon he goes nuts and gobbles the food off it like hes never been fed in his life.

BUT....I have san fransisco brand bloodworms and my fish DID have parasites...and last night i noticed weird poop again. :( the rest of the frozen food i have is hikari, looks like ill be throwing out the SF worms and replacing them. also, I hear people say freeze dried bloodworms are just treats, but what about frozen? can frozen BWs be a diet staple?
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote