Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 
LittleClumsyFishy

Is this fin rot?

Hello everyone! I'm concerned about my little guy, I noticed a piece of fin missing about a week ago and past few days I've noticed his fins really tearing/thinning/curling. I purchased a new plant decoration for his tank (roughly two weeks ago) and at first thought it was that, since he very much likes to swim at full speed in and out of the plants and stuff, so I've removed some, but in case it may be fin rot, I've started treating him with aquarium salt (which I guess would be good to help the torn fins either way?) I'm attaching a photo and was wondering what y'alls opinions might be? I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 73F-75F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Few pellets, twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus or API Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins seem to be curling/thinning/tearing (Attached Photo)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't, still very active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Week - few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, cleaning tank daily and dosing with 1 tsp of Aquarium Salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year
Attached Images

LittleClumsyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Since he is black it's going to be severely hard to tell unless you start comparing photos from where you first got him or last week or whatever. If you can, start taking photos everyday of his fins to see if they grow/get shorter.

Continue with the AQ salt but bump it up to 1 tsp per gallon so since it's 2.5, use 2.5 teaspoons of salt. **Important** please dissolve it before you put it into his tank and always acclimate him even if you think it's the same type of water. Salt actually makes and gives off heat when it dissolves so it will burn your boy. Do a 100% daily water change and re add the salt in at 2.5 teaspoons since you took it all out. If you took out just half of the water then replace just 1.25 tsp of salt. It's imperative that you do 100% dailies though so that any bacteria on him and get rid of and he'll have nice clean, healthy water.

Anyway, fin curling can be due to two things; poor water quality and hard water/high pH level. So if you have hard water or a high pH level say over 7.4-7.6 then your Betta's fins will curl no matter what. It's especially hard to keep CT's at their best in hard water because they are just so prone to fin curling.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 
LittleClumsyFishy

That's what I was thinking too since I read you can tell the rot by a brownish color. I will start taking the photos though, that's a great idea!

I will definitely bump up the salt dose. Every time I clean his tank, I have two water gallon jugs I change out and fill with his water, condition and put the salt dose in them so they can settle over night.

I don't think we have hard water, so I'm going to head over to the pet store and pick up a PH tester kit and see about that. If the fin curling is just appearance wise, I don't mind, as long as it's not anything against his health or making him uncomfy!

Thank you so much for your response, lilnaugrim!! :)
LittleClumsyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome! Always happy to help.

Fin rot is actually the blackest black of color, not brown. Your fish would be the one that's reddish-brown and then the severely black tips of his tail are what is being rotted. But yes continue the salt up to 14 days, no more than that without at least 4-5 days of rest though since salt can also hurt if used long term.

If you can shake up the jugs when you add salt, that will help too to dissolve the salt, sometimes it doesn't always dissolve when just sitting there without any stimulus but that's just my experience ^_^

But yeah, even if you have high pH it doesn't always go hand in hand with hard water, but for the majority of the time it does, just so you know ^_^
Old 06-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #5 
darkangel

how hard is your water? it looks like fin curling to me.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #6 
BettaFran

His water temp is pretty chilly. It would be good to add a heater, to get to ideal 80* or so. Hope your guy gets better soon ;)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yeah, meant to comment about that as well. You say he has a heater but it's at 75? They are tropical fish so putting it up to 78-80 would be most ideal for him if you can. Lower temps will mean more sickness for him and other tropical fishies as well.