Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #1 
Bettacrab

How can I make this work?

I ordered my self 3 bettas, I already have 2 bettas. I am limited to 4 tanks. S my question is if I have a betta in each tank can I put a breeder in the tank and the betta lve in there.
I've seen people do this before, so my question is, can a betta live in a breeder?

My local petstore does this, but I don't know if this is cruel or not, and I cannot divide tanks,,,,
Bettacrab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

How big are your tanks? Is any of them large enough to divide? Or would your parents let you take down a small one and replace it with a 5 gallon you could divide?

Or, maybe they'd buy you a 10 gallon kit from Wal-Mart fpr under $30 that you could divide into three. Then you could take down two of your tanks. The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 07-13-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Grammar
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #3 
LittleDeer

I wouldn't keep a Betta in a breeder for any long term or permanent period of time. It doesn't seem right to me. Not enough space to move or add enough plants and hiding places. But that's just my opinion. Why can't you divide?
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #4 
Bettacrab

I am maxed out on tanks... Not allowed anymore so I have a 10 gal, 5 gal, 2.5 gal, and a 1 gal.
My 5 gallon and 10 gallon are tropical comunity tanks so I can't divide them. And a 2.5 is too small to divide? Or is it? I have critter keepers, can I keep them in those for a little while. And I wasn't planning for it to be permanent.

In the future I may divide my 5 gallon, but I don't even know how to do it?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

+1 with the previous 2 posters. A breeder box is not meant to be a permanent home. Are any of your tanks 5g or larger? If so it can be divided comfortably. I hope you can figure something out. The only other option would be to rehome one of your existing Bettas.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Well, you could see if your parents would buy you two 10 gallons if you got rid of the 2.5 and 1 gallon. You could divide one 10 into three and one 10 into two. The other alternative would be your Kritter Keepers. Lots of people use them.

May I ask why you ordered three Bettas when you knew you didn't have a place for them? Just curious. I've been unprepared many times in my life.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 07-13-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Math
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #7 
Bettacrab

The thing is I have extra tanks, but I have no extra filters or anything
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #8 
Bettacrab

My dad is replacing my fish, he ordered 3 fish ate store and we have to pick them up. Ill fiqure something out,
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #9 
Bettacrab

Replacing dead tetras
Old 07-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #10 
LittleDeer

+1 for the question Russell asked. I don't mean to be all "parental" but I think you should have figured out the housing for the animals before ordering more.

And you can definitely keep them in critter keepers and they don't need filters, just means more water changes. Two of my girls are in non-filtered 2gallon critter keepers (well critter "totes" because they are All Living Things brand). But they definitely work as tanks. They are permanent homes for my girls and they are doing just fine.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote