Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #1 
Dej92

My new Dragon Scale Betta

I got this Dragon Scale betta at petsmart, he's a cool blue/green mix! But he's still a juvenile.
Attached Images

Dej92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually he wouldn't be classified as a Dragon Scale since his scales aren't as prominent and they don't go up to his face. So in this case he looks like a regular Plakat to me. At Petsmart they actually say all those short fins are Dragons but it's actually a mislabel. Because Dragon Scales sounds a heck of a lot better than Plakat Betta, right? So half of them there aren't true DS's.

It does however look like he's had some DS in his lineage but I don't think it's going to grow in and suddenly become a real DS, that's all. He is pretty though! It also looks like someone was trying to breed Plakat's and Veiltails.....interesting!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #3 
Dej92

Oh, he's not a full plakat? You think he's a PK VT mix?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd have to see him flare. Sometimes PK's can actually get a point to their tails, it's kind of a throwback to wild type Betta's who often have those points to their tails. Plakat's were derived from Wild's and then long finned out from there with hybrid breeding. Anyway, if you put him next to another Betta, they should flare (please don't put him in the same tank without a divider though! lol) and you should be able to get a nice view of his tail!

But one cannot really tell the Betta's genetics just by looking at their fins, you'd have to contact the breeder for that but that's really hard when they're from big chain stores lol but no worries, I'm sure he's still full of energy and will be right as rain once he gets into warm water and get's that belly full of food!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #5 
Dej92

Here is another pic of him, he's so cool with his red ventral fins!
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah no dragon scaling but he's still a beautiful Plakat! I do love his ventral's as well ^_^
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #7 
Dej92

If hes not a dragon scale then that's ripping me off, petsmart charged me like $8.00 for a dragon.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes and No, you won't find plakat's for 8 dollars anywhere else, that I can assure you. It's also like petco labeling their "Giant" Betta's as King's, it's because it sounds better. It's all part of a system and while yes, they did label incorrectly technically they could just call all Plakat's Dragon Scale. probably didn't make much sense there, it did in my head >.<
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #9 
mybabyjets

omg thats so cool thats hes blue/green/emerald but has red ventrals..hes so pretty, lucky you, i want him
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dej92 View Post
If hes not a dragon scale then that's ripping me off, petsmart charged me like $8.00 for a dragon.
Don't worry; you weren't really ripped off. Plakats are all labeled as dragons at Petsmart as far as I know. The label is practically synonomous at the Petsmart near me. And Petco charges $14-$15 for their properly labeled plakats.

And he is a lovely fish regardless.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote