Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #1 
Catw0man

Did you know.....

.....what some buyers buy females for? Well, a local Plakat breeder I encountered recently admitted to fighting his fish.....and using cheap females he buys in bulk from other breeders to "train" his fighters on.

Just wanted to warn breeders that when they sell a batch of females for a sorority, the person buying those females may not be actually putting them in a sorority. Some breeders may not care either way.....but for those that do and may not have heard of this (I must admit I was shocked), I just thought I'd share this recent experience.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 
Myates

Thanks for the warning :(

It's sad and unfortunately it's hard to control if you sell on places such as AB. We can't deny people fish as a precaution, otherwise we would never be able to find buyers. Wish there was a way to regulate the fighting.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #3 
snowflake311

Fish fighting not cool. Some breeders breed fish to be great fighters. Just like with dogs. Omg are betta fish the pit bulls of the fish world?
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #4 
Myates

Yes they are, at least I've always called them that.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Would you be willing to release the name of the breeder?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #6 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Thanks for the warning :(

It's sad and unfortunately it's hard to control if you sell on places such as AB. We can't deny people fish as a precaution, otherwise we would never be able to find buyers. Wish there was a way to regulate the fighting.
Yes, how do you know? Now when I see some sellers on Aquabid selling a group of 6 females for $6 or so I wonder....(and there are a few who routinely do sell bulk groups of females for very low prices....and they always gets lots of bids).

The person I met said he wouldn't pay more than $2 per female....so maybe pricing them high enough would eliminate the possibility of them being used this way (the more people pay, the more value they perceive the item having...).
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's hard to price bettas... Too cheap and you get unethical or non serious buyers, but too expensive and no one buys them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #8 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Would you be willing to release the name of the breeder?
I don't know his name, actually.....it was in a Thai restaurant I went to a couple of weeks ago.....but from what I gathered he wasn't a big-time breeder or anything and didn't sell his fish outside of his "circle of friends" as it were.....
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catw0man View Post
Yes, how do you know? Now when I see some sellers on Aquabid selling a group of 6 females for $6 or so I wonder....(and there are a few who routinely do sell bulk groups of females for very low prices....and they always gets lots of bids).

The person I met said he wouldn't pay more than $2 per female....so maybe pricing them high enough would eliminate the possibility of them being used this way (the more people pay, the more value they perceive the item having...).
How do I know what? A lil confused there :)

You can't discount people selling females in bulk either - most females don't meet the proper form a lot of breeders will pay good money for, and you don't tend to sell a lot of females separately in a single sale - I think I only sold 1 female alone and that was because all of my other fish had sold and that was all I had left.. so when breeders who breed multiple spawns they end up with a lot of females and it's much easier to sell them in a group setting for a good deal - either a breeder will buy and pick the best ones of the lot to breed, or someone will buy for a sorority. You get the few who buy for fighting, but you can't discount someone who will also buy them in bulk and turn around and sell them for a bit more money, etc.

I sell my females anywhere from $5 for one and $2 each one after that, or in special cases a lot cheaper or they get some for free.. It's a shame this happens, I really wish it didn't.. why I offer to my friends on FB first, then here and so forth before I sell on AB/Ebay.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Where I'm at quality females may cost a fortune. But many breeders cull these females instead :(
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote