Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #1 
Atena

my bettas won't mate

I am breading for the first time.

I have everything setup perfectly and both fish look ready.

Girl is very eggy, boy built a huge nest.

Setup is 4" of water in a 10 gallon. PH is 7.0 temperature is 80f.

The girl is showing submissive postures, bit he just defends the nest.

This is day 2 of this.

Is there anything I can do?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes, be patient and let nature take its course. :) They sound perfect. Sometimes first timers (virgins) may take longer up to 1 week. Veterans usually spawn with in 24 hours.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #3 
Myates

Nope. Let them do their thing. Don't disturb them.. the more you mess around with the tank (even looking in it), the longer it will take for them (usually). Cover up the front of the tank, allow a small section towards the top open so you can peek in still without them noticing.

With virgins, especially if both are virgins, it can take anywhere from a day to a week - sometimes even two - to get them to figure things out. A lot of times people don't realize that it can be difficult to get your spawns going.. not all of the pairs are going to be easy to breed and since breeding for these animals has a potential to mean life or death you can see why they don't get it on like rabbits.. A lot of factors are in play when one gets a quick, easy spawn.. such as age of breeders, how they were conditioned (each of the bettas react better to different techniques of conditioning), how much room they have to swim in the tank, how many hiding places are available, etc etc.

For now all you can do is wait. If after day 5 there is still nothing (or sooner if it looks like they gave up) then recondition them and start over.. maybe change the conditioning up a little such as don't allow them to see another betta for 3-5 days at all before adding them to the tank, etc.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #4 
Atena

They are both very young and it is their first time too, so I guess I will wait a while.

They are right now sticking to opposite corners of the tank, not really interacting at all.

Thanks for the advice.

Atena :)
Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

+1
Leave them.
My first female was a snot. He would build the nest and gently herd her over so she could see it, she would inspect the nest then tear it apart and swim back to her corner and wait for him to build it again. It wasn't until he started defending his nest did she become submissive. She would swim up to the nest and immediately assume the head down position. I guess he took it personally because he wouldn't give her the time of day for two days after that. All together is was a week. I was about to give up.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #6 
Atena

Thanks, this is encouraging. Right now I feel like she is just heartbroken, he rejected her advances on multiple occasions, even after she inspected the nest and kept her head down. She just sits at the other end of the tank, pouting.

Willem is such a heart-breaker!

I have not been home for most of the day, when I am there I peak in from afar so they don't see me just to see if she is still in the same spot, and she is.

I hope when I get home tonight they will be farther along. What can I say, relationships are hard. LOL
Old 06-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #7 
Myates

How did you condition them? There should be at least some level of activity.. if they aren't moving, he isn't making/working on a nest then I would remove them and recondition them. Isolate them both from all other fish for a few days, stuff them with food and try again..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #8 
Atena

She comes up to the nest every now and then to try and get a rise out of him but he only chases her away.

She is not the problem, he is.

He lives alone in a 5gal. She lives with her sister one floor bellow. They never saw each other until they were brought together. She was floated in a clear container until he built a nest and she started dropping eggs. (Almost 2 days).

Then she was released Friday night, they fought for a while. She submitted and he did not respond, continued to chase her until she just stayed away. She still tries do come near him every now and then, and he is still building his nest. It has been like this for 2 days now.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #9 
snowflake311

Keep us posted on how it is going. I hope he gets his stuff together and starts a family.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #10 
Atena

I think we had a small spawn. There a few eggs in the nest, and both fish were working on the nest together for a bit. Then the girl went to her side of the tank.

She is now back in her home while Willem is working on the nest alone.

I still have the privacy screen up, because of this I am not sure if she released the eggs on her own or they actually did this together, since it is my first time too I am not sure what am looking for.

Should I now try to feed him?

Is there a way to know for sure?

I guess I will know if I see any bay fish developing in the nest.

It is still a waiting game.

Atena :)