Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #11 
ANHEL123

I forgot keep the tank as dark as you can. If you have light on your tank turn it off. Parasites will reproduce with light.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #12 
ShadyLex

Thanks. My room gets rather light during the day time but I don't turn on the tank light unless necessary. Should I get a towel and cover up the tank with it? It'll help keep it dark throughout the day.
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyLex View Post
Thanks. My room gets rather light during the day time but I don't turn on the tank light unless necessary. Should I get a towel and cover up the tank with it? It'll help keep it dark throughout the day.
No, it won't matter - the temperature of the water alone will kill the parasites.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #14 
ShadyLex

Morning update:

The ich have spread more over his body but I have made the temp 86F. He ate 2 pellets happily and had made a bubble nest while I was asleep. Must be the extra humidity. His poop was present but it was more in chunks and not one piece. Should I be worried about that?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #15 
jaysee
Reference Team

It can get worse before it gets better. If the temp is not high enough, then it will just cause the infestation to worsen, which is why I prefer to not carry out the treatment near the threshold. If you've got the temp up to at least 86, you should see improvement in 2-3 days.

I would not be concerned about the poop.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 06-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #16 
ShadyLex

Temp is still at 86F and I can actually see some white dots on the bottom of the tank, gross. The betta (I seriously need to name him) swims around the tank and likes to sit on the hammock I placed in there.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

They will soon start to fall off more quickly. Depending on the severity of the infestation, it can leave the fins a little ragged looking. They will heal.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #18 
ShadyLex

They're all over his body and just looking at him makes me feel bad =( It looks like he lost a scale somewhere, will that grow back?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #19 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yeah, scales grow back.

So here are a couple of videos I took. I normally begin the heat treatment while new fish are in quarantine the next day, so I don't even actually see infestations anymore. But, I started waiting because I wanted to get it on film. In the first video you can see the fish is infested - spots covering it's entire body. Had I not begun treatment when I did, my guess is that the fish would have been dead in 2-3 days. Like with every other fish, all I do is raise the temp to 88 degrees for 2 weeks. Thats the extent of my involvement curing the fish. The first video is of the next day, once the tank was up to temp. The second video was 2-3 days later. 2 days after that the fish was spot free, and the fish is currently in the 125.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQm5wit0e1A]Ich - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhea5CKZ0o]Ich 2 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #20 
ShadyLex

Wow! That's a pretty fast cure. I think I'll bump the temp up to 88F because I'm not confident in myself with the AQ salt. He's doing rather well in 86F and you said he can take 88F yeah? Once the ich start falling off his body how long should I keep at the treatment? I don't want to put him back in the 10 gal only to have it come back.