Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #21 
jaysee
Reference Team

The betta will be fine at 88. It's not necessary for you to go to 88 though, not if you see improvement at 86. The reason I go to 88 is because I am preemptively treating fish, and I want to know without a shadow of a doubt that the fish is ich free before it goes in the show tank. Also, I've had a heat resistant strain of ich that did not respond to 86. 88 took care of it, so ever since then I have done 88.

The treatment is for 2 weeks from the time the tank gets to temp. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary to finish the full 2 weeks, but it's easy enough to finish so I've never experimented to see.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #22 
ShadyLex

He's chilling at 86F and I just check up on him. It may be me but it looks like a lot of the ich from his face has fallen off and there is less white spots on him. Should I change the water right now to get rid of all the ich or wait until tomorrow morning?
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #23 
jaysee
Reference Team

I don't change the water for the entire 2 week treatment. However, most people would say to do daily changes. I haven't found it to make any difference.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 06-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #24 
BETTACHKALOVE

Change the water to remove the one that are fell .
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #25 
ShadyLex

Lots of the ich has fallen off his body and face now. There are still a lot on his fins but the heat treatment is working great.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #26 
ShadyLex

More of the ich have disappeared and happily ate 3 pellets this morning. I decided to see if he would flare out for me and held a mirror out for him. He flared up after a few moments and I noticed a pin hole in his anal fin. Is this the result from the ich falling off? How do I heal him up after all of it has gone away?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #27 
jaysee
Reference Team

It will heal on its own

Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #28 
Stone

you need to change the water daily, ich has life stages, one where it is in the fish, the next it leaves the fish and is in a spore of sorts, the next is the free swimming stage. while it is in the fish and in the spore it is basically safe from temp and salt, the only thing raising the temp does is speed it it's life cycle if you do not change the water daily you are taking a chance of one of the spore hatching releasing 1000's of tomites which is what ich is in it's free swimming stage is called, re-infecting the fish, in your main tank you should vaccum it out or at the very least not introduce the fish for at least 14 days just to be sure ,the tomite can live for only 4 days without a fish and it only stays in the spore for 4-5 days and as always it is best to error on the side of caution and using AQ salt is not a bad idea, I usually use malichite green but salt will work

Last edited by Stone; 07-02-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #29 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
you need to change the water daily, ich has life stages, one where it is in the fish, the next it leaves the fish and is in a spore of sorts, the next is the free swimming stage. while it is in the fish and in the spore it is basically safe from temp and salt, the only thing raising the temp does is speed it it's life cycle if you do not change the water daily you are taking a chance of one of the spore hatching releasing 1000's of tomites which is what ich is in it's free swimming stage is called, re-infecting the fish, in your main tank you should vaccum it out or at the very least not introduce the fish for at least 14 days just to be sure ,the tomite can live for only 4 days without a fish and it only stays in the spore for 4-5 days and as always it is best to error on the side of caution and using AQ salt is not a bad idea, I usually use malichite green but salt will work
As someone who exclusively uses heat and does not do water changes during the treatment, I have never had a reinfection - reason being because the parasites are dead. The heat does more than speed up the life cycle - getting it to 86 and above kills the parasite in its swimming stage thereby interrupting the life cycle. That's how the heat treatment works. Adding salt doesn't make them any deader. All it takes is getting the temp up to at least 86 - it really is that easy.

Since the treatment is working exactly as it should, I would not change courses or do anything different.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #30 
ShadyLex

I change the water everyday to get rid of the spores. So far the treatment has worked wonderfully and I'll keep using it for the next two weeks. I have a premixture of AQ salt water on the side if the heat treatment doesn't work out.