Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #1 
Iloveceviche

Bloated Betta

I recently acquired a new fish, Jester, who is a beautiful blue crown tail male. About a week ago I noticed that he was getting bloated, so I stopped feeding him because I was pretty sure he was constipated (no poop in a week!). I have fasted him for nearly a week and still nothing! I removed him from his tank and put him in a small container with epsom salt treated water (1/4 tsp to a 2 liter container) and still nothing. Today I offered him a bit of pea and he ate it, so I am (im)patiently waiting for him to poop. In the meantime, his color is fading and his underbelly is turning white.

I recently moved him from the small 1/2 gallon bowl he was in to a 2 gallon tank, filtered. The water is nice and warm, not too sure of the temperature. I normally feed him betta pellets, but have given him freeze dried blood worms on occasion as a treat.

Does any of this sound familiar? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Iloveceviche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveceviche View Post
I recently acquired a new fish, Jester, who is a beautiful blue crown tail male. About a week ago I noticed that he was getting bloated, so I stopped feeding him because I was pretty sure he was constipated (no poop in a week!). I have fasted him for nearly a week and still nothing! I removed him from his tank and put him in a small container with epsom salt treated water (1/4 tsp to a 2 liter container) and still nothing. Today I offered him a bit of pea and he ate it, so I am (im)patiently waiting for him to poop. In the meantime, his color is fading and his underbelly is turning white.

I recently moved him from the small 1/2 gallon bowl he was in to a 2 gallon tank, filtered. The water is nice and warm, not too sure of the temperature. I normally feed him betta pellets, but have given him freeze dried blood worms on occasion as a treat.

Does any of this sound familiar? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I don't recommend peas. They are not herbivores, and so I don't think it's good for them (personal preference). I understand the fiber aspect, but you can get that from brine shrimp. Anyway, I would get some frozen daphnia. Daphnia acts as a laxative and should help with getting that poo moving. Also, I would recommend picking up some frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. Add the brine shrimp into his diet maybe once or twice a week to add some fiber. The freeze dried blood worms can be offered as a treat, but in a fish that has a history of constipation I would toss them and use frozen instead. They (freeze dried) can contribute to bloating, and I've heard that it (bloating) can be especially prevalent in crowntails.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote