Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1 
jlllm

Switching tanks

I have put my Betta back in the 10 gallon tank I took him out of last month. He was harassing all the other critters in the 20 high gallon. He ate all the food even carrying the tadpole bites away and swallowing whole and sucking up the shrimp pellets for the frogs and shrimp. He wouldn't let anyone eat and snapped and chased them. He didn't use to do this. But a frog died and 2 shrimp were missing so I took them out and after I got 7 neon tetras I switched the betta and put them in the 20 g tank. Now they are all going through a. spikes. I did more water changes and brought the levels down. The strip tests I was using didn't get any readings and the tests with drops had ammonia readings.

I bought 5 more tetras and 4 more shrimp yesterday. When i got home all the terras were dead and the shrimp were picking away at their bodies. The bag only had a a little more than a cup of water in it. Then after I added the shirmp to the tank last night, 2 tetras were dead by morning. They were ok since last Sunday when I got them but one would "get lost" and be left behind sometimes.

Should I try to get more neon tetras? 5 might be a little lonely in their tiny school. I think I have 8-9 ghost shrimp. And one ADF. I have 2 new ones in different tanks that I want to join him but not sure about if they should be quarantined. I was interested in other tetras too but not sure how many. Anyone have thoughts?
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #2 
Fin Fancier

If you are getting ammonia readings in your 20 gallon then it is not yet done cycling. I wouldn't add any more fish to it until your readings reach 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 - 20 nitrates. Tetras are very sensitive to water quality so I wouldn't attempt to add more until your readings are stable, same with shrimp and the ADF. Once the 20 gallon is done then you can think about stocking, but if the betta isn't getting along well best to just let him keep it for himself (maybe with a couple ghost shrimp. My betta loves his ten gallon and only shares it with a nerite snail.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #3 
jlllm

The reading were tested weekly at the store and good till now. Then all tanks spiked
Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #4 
jlllm

Yes my only makes a bubble nest when alone. His ammonia is spiking daily now.. 25 to maybe.30. I stare at the colors so much i can't tell if its yellow or light green.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #5 
jlllm

now his fins are turning black edged