Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #1 
HeadlessLegoMom

Question How 2 FEED Mixed Lot???

I was just curious. If there are different types of food for each kind of tropical fish, how do you ensure that each species gets the food specified for them to eat in a mixed tank? Is it difficult to ensure that each fish is getting the necessary nutrients needed when you have a bunch in a tank?

I am thinking of getting a big second hand tank and rewarding my daughter for using her potty with different fish and tank decorations because she has a virtual tank that she adores. She feeds the fish on the computer and even uses a digital algae scraper to clean her tank. How cute is that? Teaching responsibility to a two year old toddler seems like a great use of technology to me!
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It depends. For when I had tetras in my sorority tank I would feed all of them NLS pellets and they loved it. And then the cory's got the pellets that fell to the ground. Occasionally I'd give a bottom feeder wafer to them but the girls would eat it. After I donated the Tetras I would cup the girls for a bit while the cory's at their wafer and all was fine.

But for the most part it depends on what you want in there. Most fish will eat the same flake/pellet food. Pleco's/Corydoras do need some veggies in their diet but Tetras and other fish are not likely to eat a cucumber that you throw in there lol those can be weighted down so that the pleco can eat them easier.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #3 
HeadlessLegoMom

Interesting. I couldn't do a Betta sorority because you can't add them individually due to the establishment of the pecking order, right? They would all need to go in at once from what I've read over the last 72 hours. What about adding other fish to a single male Betta one at a time? Is that possible? Did you ever worry that one fish wasn't getting enough food cause the others beat it to eating?
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can add girls individually but I suggest you start off with at least three first and then you can add girls in after but I also suggest QT'ing them for at least 2 weeks and let them float in cups or something in the tanks so that they can get used to the new girls.

With a male, he can be in first but when you add the new fish, take him out, rearrange things and then you can add him back in when the new fish is set. This way he doesn't have his territory to defend and has to find a new spot. I don't suggest nippy tetras or barbs though (unless it's cherry barbs) bottom feeders like cory's are great with Betta's because they occupy different levels of the water.

And no I don't really worry because I take time to watch to make sure they're fed. The boy's get one or two pellets at a time and I go down the line of tanks and repeat it till they each get the right amount of food. For the girls I just plop in some NLS pellets. Some sink to where the cory's get them and start feasting. I also take care to use at least one bottom/algae wafer a week at least so that the cory's can get other nutritional value. Otherwise they just scavenge all day along like all fish and they'll find something to eat always.

Sometimes I use NLS flakes in the sorority and they usually can't get them all so they sink to the bottom and the cory's scavenge for them all day long so no, I don't worry
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
I was just curious. If there are different types of food for each kind of tropical fish, how do you ensure that each species gets the food specified for them to eat in a mixed tank? Is it difficult to ensure that each fish is getting the necessary nutrients needed when you have a bunch in a tank?

I am thinking of getting a big second hand tank and rewarding my daughter for using her potty with different fish and tank decorations because she has a virtual tank that she adores. She feeds the fish on the computer and even uses a digital algae scraper to clean her tank. How cute is that? Teaching responsibility to a two year old toddler seems like a great use of technology to me!
It is very difficult to make sure that certain fish eat certain foods in an aquarium, which is why it is best to stock a tank with fish that can all eat the same food. The VAST majority of fish in the trade fall in that category, requiring a good, high quality staple food as the bulk of their diet. They do not need individualized foods. All my fish eat NLS thera A - I feed a variety of sized pellets that way the different sized fish can get their share. For example, the severums don't bother eating the 1 mm pellets (meant for the kuhlis) when there are 2 and 3 mm pellets to eat. The only time it is difficult to ensure that a fish is getting what it needs is if it is a fish that does not take processed foods. That requires the fish learn to either be hand fed or target fed with a giant syringe, which can be a pain, especially if the fish is shy. There are a few other exceptions, but you can count on the fish you are going to get all eating the same food.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote