Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #1 
MichelleA

Shock?

Ok guys, while I was at work today my boyfriend diagnosed my boy with fin rot. went out and bought api aquarium salt and stress coat. We put him back into a little half gallon tank to treat him. I get home now hes permanently flaring and being very still on the bottom of his tankName:  resize011.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  19.5 KB. Im a little scared. heres a picture, is this fin rot? And can anyone explain his behavior? Is he in shock and should i put him back in his old tank? His levels in his big tank are good but I figured if we have to do 100% water change daily until this clears up this may be less stressful on him. Help me out here
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #2 
MichelleA

Whew ok I put him in his old tank and his fins went right down and hes acting pretty normal now. He started freaking out and swimming around all fast and slamming into the walls all of a sudden. I think its safe to say he is traumatized. But now so am I! How am I supposed to do 100% water changes if he freaks out like this if I put him in another place for it!?

Do i really have to do daily 100% water changes in a 10 gallon tank with 8 live plants and two inches of substrate? Wont the plants die and my cycle get all messed up?

Also, if this is fin rot, is there anything else i can do for him? I just thought they were tattered or damaged from living in a pet store and not being taken care of
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #3 
sainthogan

It doesn't look like fin rot to me. It looks more like he's biting. Fin rot is defined by black or red edges where it's rotting. This looks more like clean breaks where he may be biting off his rays (he's a crown tail, so he's going to have lots of spikes or rays).
He was probably flaring in the little tank because he could see his reflection and thought it was another male.
It's generally not a good idea to use aquarium salt in a planted tank, it can harm the plants. So if you want to use it, you're going to have to put him back in the 1/2 gallon and maybe put something around the sides to block his reflection. You may not need to use it though if you can keep him from biting, it will grow back on it's own with clean, warm water. New growth is defined by clear edges.
He may have only been a biter in the pet store in his cramped condition. In his new tank, he may not have a need to bite so once his tail grows back, you may not need to worry about it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote