Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #1 
taralovesanimals

What is wrong?

My betta used to swim on his side for about a week and now hes not anymore, but now he just seems to hang around at the top, and like freeze when im around but when i leave and come back he's somwhere else, is he just scared of me being around or is he having some kind of swimming problem? I want to makesure he's healthy before I decide to buy and quarantine 6-10 harlequin rasboras.

My betta is 3 years and 8 months old in a 10 gallon heated and filtered tank and planted
taralovesanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #2 
taralovesanimals

here is a picture
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #3 
taralovesanimals

henjust hangs in the top right corner whenI'm there or swims to the bottom right corner when Im not there \

Im getting more plants btw
Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #4 
taralovesanimals

Housing
What size is your tank?10 gallon
What temperature is your tank?78°
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?maybe harlequin rasboras in the future

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Hartz Wardley Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish?just stopped fasting from bloat an just recently fed him 2 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Tetra Aqua safe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes a week ago at pet store and they showed us a stip next to a page in the book that showed everything was fine

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?was palerbut normal color now
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?lazyish
When did you start noticing the symptoms?3 days or more
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?fasting for his bloating but not anymoe
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)?3 yrs 8 months
Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #5 
taralovesanimals

if I get more plants do I need to quarantine them?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It could be very well that he's just suffering of old age, 3 years and 8 months is pretty old for Betta fish! They do get lethargic when they get older, much like humans. Something that you might look into are floating plants or at least one of those Betta hammocks so that he can rest at the top without effort. Right now looks like he's just having a hard time with swimming.

You said he had bloat? Do you see his poop at all and do you siphon out the water or scoop it out when you change it?

Something that would definitely help him would be to change his diet, if you can you should get either Omega One or New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets. Both are very high quality but aren't terribly expensive. The thing with foods is that you want to look at the first three ingredients, those are what the food contains most of. So you want to watch out for things that are "fillers", those are all Wheat, Corn and Soybean products. They are bad for fish in general so you want a food that doesn't have 2 or 3 fillers in the first three ingredients. Omega One is the better one as it has no fillers in their first three ingredients and NLS only has one.

So anyway, switching him to a better diet will help with his bloat and his digestive system over all. It's the difference to eating TV dinners all the time (even though you make like them) and eating a home cooked good meal with the three main components; meat, veggie and starch. So especially in older people and fish, higher quality is really essential.

EDIT: as for plants you can QT if you like but I throw mine in when I get them. I usually rinse under some tap to get out old roots or dying leaves. I undo from any cotton wrap or lead wrap it has to separate them if it's a stem plant. I give the roots a bit of a trim (leave still 1.5 inches or so if you can) and then I plop them in!

**Note** some plants are prone to melting or losing leaves when first introduced to an aquarium but don't worry they will start growing back leaves in a few weeks, just be patient. However if you see the leaf turning brown, then pluck it if you can because brown = dead.

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 06-29-2013 at 07:22 PM.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #7 
taralovesanimals

Okay ill get pmega one pellets for him. Could it just be that he's stressed

"Stress
•Symptoms: It’s hard to say for sure. But maybe your betta is lethargic, not eating, hiding, staying in a corner or at the bottom of the tank, he might look a bit pale or dart away when you get close to the tank. It could be a mild infection of some sort though too so be careful.
Treatment/Prevention: If your betta is housed with other fish then isolate him and see if he get better. His tank mates might be harassing him. On the other hand, some bettas become depressed when isolated. Other causes could be too much or too little light, too much current, too much activity near the tank, the temperature might be too low. Try changing things up, move the aquarium to a more isolated area and see if he gets better. Or if he’s on a food strike, offer live foods. If he is lonely, place the tank where he can see other fish. Make sure there are places to hide when he is stressed."

EDIT: Ok ill do that with the plants

Last edited by taralovesanimals; 06-29-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It could be but I really don't think so. It's more like he's old and grouchy and doesn't want to do anything. Hopefully good food will make him perk up though! You could feed him about 3-4 of those pellets in a day since they're smaller and don't expand as much as other pellets do

And back to the water changes, why 10% every day? Is there something wrong with the tank? Also do you have a siphon to siphon out the poop or do you just scoop it out?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #9 
taralovesanimals

Oh I thought it might be stress because hes staying in the corner and bottom and kind of pale so i hope the food helps. In this condition, do you think he'll be OK in a community tank?

EDIT:My parents dont want to buy a siphon yet, but we will get one soon. I was changing 10% a day because the water was kind of cloudy from the gravel
Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #10 
taralovesanimals

http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...Fa9cQgodz0EA4Q this??