Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes to the Omega pellets

As to community tank, I would hold off until he's feeling better. Also he could be stressed out since there is so much open water. They do come from Rice Paddies which are...well it's all very tall plants so barely any open waters so it won't matter what size tank it is, if there are big opens spaces they don't like it. So I certainly suggest more taller plants too, I know you were getting some already which is great You can even mix live plants and silk plants if you like, the more hiding space he has, the more comfortable he's going to feel and that will really make him feel so much better and content.

But definitely start with the food first, then siphon and then plants. You can get the harlequins at a different time, they'll always be there for you but I think your boy's health is a little more important at the moment and your harlequins will really love the cover as well so it's a win-win all around!

By the way, sorry to hear about your other boy
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #12 
taralovesanimals

Thank you I will try everything, but now he's in the corner on his side. Is that OK?
taralovesanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #13 
taralovesanimals

Oh and about how tall should the plants be?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They can go right up to the top of the waterline, anything he can rest on. That's why I like Water Sprite if you can find it (usually not in big chain stores) because it can be planted or floating and I usually float all of mine and all my fish sleep in their sprigs of water sprite ^_^ it's super cute.

But yeah, any sort of real plants like Valisneria are good for just plain cover, you could have one Amazon Sword in there although that might need a root tab under it to really grow, root tabs are really super easy too, just stick one under the plant and forget about it for about 2-3 months And other plants you could use would be most stems like Anacharis, Ludwigia, Rotala, some Java Ferns get big too and those will grow in time so that he can swim through them and rest on them

But you can also get some silk plants (not plastic please!) as well and kind of stuff it all in to make a jungle, well it doesn't have to be like a real jungle but whatever suits your fancy and you think that he might like.

For now if you want you can lower the water to about half way so that he doesn't have to travel so far from the bottom to the top, this might help with getting him out of the corner. Hides are also good, like decorations with holes and all. Since fish don't have eyelids they like to sleep in darker places so that will help ease his stress too.

Does he normally have lights on that tank and do you turn them off at night for him?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #15 
taralovesanimals

I dont have any lights for the tank we have a window thats 10 ft across that shines lots of light on the tank... Algae!!>:l haha

EDIT: i have a broken pot decoration thing from petco should i put it in?? I also have a fake coral thing thats already in

Last edited by taralovesanimals; 06-29-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #16 
taralovesanimals

What about the leaf hanmock thing
Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

yeah you can put the broken pot ornament in that's fine, I don't expect him to use it right away but it will be there for when he does want to use it. So for now just lower the water, you can turn off the filter if you have to and just put the heater down as well. That should help for right now and yes you can get the leaf hammock. Usually sold at chain stores next to or near the Betta cups if you don't have one, it's just a suction cup with a fake leaf on it for him to rest on. You put it about an inch below the water level.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #18 
taralovesanimals

Ok ill lower the water but i just finished cycling it a week ago /: ill add more plants and get re omega one should i get a bubble stone too
Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, well in that case never mind, better to keep your cycle then. It would cause more stress if the cycle ended up ruined. Sorry for flip flopping >.< You can however lower it a little bit that the filter is still working but it's not filled all the way up, you know? That might help a bit.

As far as the bubble stone, that's actually not going to help them. Since they do come from Rice Paddies, it's very calm waters and practically no water movement. That's why they have a labyrinth organ, it allows them to breathe air in a low oxygen environment and it will also push him around too if you do end up getting it :-/ I actually recommend baffling your filter as well, that could cause him stress as well if there's too much flow and it can push him everywhere.

Here are two different types of baffles just for future reference, first one is the water bottle baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

and this one is a sponge baffle, not a step-by-step but if you read the comments I'm sure you can figured it out http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100

and here's a nifty article about aging Betta's! http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/aging-bettas/
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #20 
taralovesanimals

I removed three gallons already /:
Attached Images