Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #1 
Seki

A couple of questions...

I am preparing to release a female into my sorority. She has been in a hospital tank to recover from her injuries sustained on the ride home from the fish store, and she is doing very well. But now I have a few questions...

1) Can fish have a gold iridescence? Another user had warned me she might have velvet, but that doesn't seem to quite be it. It doesn't look like a gold dust sprinkled over her body, it seems like a truly gold iridescence. She doesn't scratch against things, she's not clamped, and she has a voracious appetite.

2) Can females become lonely after being isolated? These fish spent their life together in the tank at the store, and they all know each other well. I separated this girl out because she got beaten up so badly on the way home, but she simply never regained her color, even after I put her in her hospital tank. However... she colors up INSTANTLY (I am not even joking) when I put a mirror against the side of her tank. Her body darkens and her fins turn a bold red. Is it that she's lonely and misses her tankmates? I know almost everyone says that bettas don't get lonely, but... well... she seems like she might be the exception.

3) I just bought a breeder box... is this what I should use to put her into the sorority? The other girls haven't seen her for a number of days now... have they forgotten her? Will they go after her again? There is an Alpha in the tank, of course... should I worry about her going after the new arrival?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

1) Yes, fish may be able to have a gold iridescence. As long as she's acting fine, she'll be alright. :D

2) It all depends on the betta. Some prefer to have company, some just want to go on solo. If she got beaten up that bad, I don't think you should put her back that easily. What do you think?

3) Fish surprisingly have a long memory. A breeder's box will suit your social betta, and will prevent her from getting beat up.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #3 
Seki

To clarify, she was beaten up on the way home in a tiny bag. All the girls ended up with nips and stress stripes. She just seems more sensitive than the others and she had yet to recover (or so I thought). But now I am thinking she might still be striped simply because she is lonely and wants to be back with other bettas. The mirror is driving me to think that... she flares at it, but she also seems so much happier to have another betta there.

I'm probably going to give the breeder's box a try. Hopefully she'll show me some color back in the big tank and I'll know she wants to be around the others. Gonna have to do this carefully so nobody gets hurt.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
To clarify, she was beaten up on the way home in a tiny bag. All the girls ended up with nips and stress stripes. She just seems more sensitive than the others and she had yet to recover (or so I thought). But now I am thinking she might still be striped simply because she is lonely and wants to be back with other bettas. The mirror is driving me to think that... she flares at it, but she also seems so much happier to have another betta there.

I'm probably going to give the breeder's box a try. Hopefully she'll show me some color back in the big tank and I'll know she wants to be around the others. Gonna have to do this carefully so nobody gets hurt.
I fully understood your question in the beginning. Which is why I also agree with your first idea, putting her in a breeder's box. Good luck with her and your sorority.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote