Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #1 
Lena N

gill information/problem please help

gill inflammation/problem please help

One of my Betta Cherrik maybe injured himself or at another reason but one of his gill is stiking out more than another(from yesterday). Please advise what to do? Should I treat him with AQ salt??? Has anybody had the same problem???
Thank you!

Tank 5 G (devided with another betta) sycled
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrats 5
PH 8

WC 1 time a week 35%
Recently added new plant bought from Petsmart.
He has good apetite but I think he is less active lately.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 
sainthogan

It could be a little swollen from his injury. Aquarium salt could help prevent infection, but might not be necessary at this point. Others here have had this problem, and most of them saw it go away within a few days to a week. Keep an eye on him and see if it starts to go down after a few days or shows signs of getting worse or infected.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #3 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
It could be a little swollen from his injury. Aquarium salt could help prevent infection, but might not be necessary at this point. Others here have had this problem, and most of them saw it go away within a few days to a week. Keep an eye on him and see if it starts to go down after a few days or shows signs of getting worse or infected.
Thank you very much for your answer! I did put him in floating cup and one drop of Paraguard yesterday. Can not see any changes today.
I also forgot to mention that couple of his scales are sticking out near gills.
Oh, well. Have to wait and hope for improvement...
Thank you.

Last edited by Lena N; 06-30-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #4 
tngirl92

I think I would go ahead with the aquarium salt. My betta had a gill infection once, and it is nothing to play around with. The aquarium salt may help increase gill function and when used correctly for less than ten days, it should not be harmful to him. It can only help.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #5 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
I think I would go ahead with the aquarium salt. My betta had a gill infection once, and it is nothing to play around with. The aquarium salt may help increase gill function and when used correctly for less than ten days, it should not be harmful to him. It can only help.
Thank you tngirl92, it does look serious as no improvement today. How much salt did you use per Galon, 1 table spoon? And did your Betta survived???