Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #11 
boopers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
Can you look at him from above and tell if his scales are raised or not? Like, do they look like they are sticking out from his body?
No his fins look same as always.
boopers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, it looks like you have another thread about this too. I'm going to post a link so that people can view both threads: link to your previous thread.

On the previous thread, you said that you do frequent water changes because his food "gets stuck in the rocks." To me, this indicates that you could be overfeeding him. Also, you said that you're giving him Betta-Min Tropical Medley flakes.

Foods that contain a lot of grains and fillers (wheat, corn, soybean, rice, gluten, etc) can be constipating. The Betta-Min Tropical Medley that you're feeding him contains "Fish meal, ground brown rice, torula dried yeast, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, dried potato products, dehulled soybean meal, fish oil, soybean oil, algae meal, sorbitol, lecithin, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (vitamin C). Artificial colors including red 3. Ethoxyquin as a preservative."

How often does he poop? What does it look like? He may be constipated and/or in need of better nutrition.

If this was my fish, I would:
  1. Fast him for one day.
  2. Add Epsom salt. Since you have a 2 gal tank, you can take a small amount of tank water, add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved, then pour it back into the tank. (This will provide a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon.)
  3. About 12 hours after adding the Epsom salt, repeat the above process. Take a small amount of tank water, add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved, then pour it back into the tank. (This will provide a combined dosage of 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon.)
  4. Switch him to a high protein quality pellet food, such as New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet. (I prefer pellets since they're easier to measure out. This means there's less chance of overfeeding, and you can determine exactly how much you're giving him.)
  5. It may take several days for the Epsom salt to do its job. Whenever you do water changes, premix the Epsom salt solution, by adding 1 teaspoon Epsom salt into a gallon of water. (This will maintain the 1 teaspoon per gallon dosage.) You can keep him in the Epsom salt solution for 10-14 days.

Edited to add: Could you turn off the light in his tank, and post another photo?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@tngirl - this doesn't look like the "mystery disease" (Mycobacterial infection) to me. The color change is different. In Myco, the fins turn gray, which indicates necrosis (tissue death). But, to me, boopers93's betta has an overall body change, which looks more like it's stress-induced.

@lilnaugrim - I originally recommended Epsom salt at a dosage of 0.5 tsp/gal. But I'm using my kindle, so it's difficult to see the photo. Since you think he may have popeye, I upped it to the standard 1 tsp/gal. (It's definitely OK to use 1 tsp/gal, regardless.) You did a good job offering advice!

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-30-2013 at 02:46 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #13 
boopers93

Thanks guys. I added Epsom salt to his water. His eyes are still bothering me. He's swimming more but not like he was. Any other suggestions ? I'm heading to the pet store in a couple hours.
Attached Images

boopers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

I recommend a food change to one of the pellets I listed above. (New Life Spectrum or Omega One.)

The Epsom saltxmay take a day or two to work (assuming it will be effective). If you're concerned, you can the combined Maracyn / Maracyn 2 treatment that Tngirl outlined. Or you could try tetracycline. Continue using the Epsom salt though.

The new photo shows his blue coloration better. Thanks - that's what I was looking for.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

@LBF, oh I totally missed your little notes at the bottom XD thanks ^_^

Yeah I'm still sticking with Pop-eye for starters.

I think the best thing you can do for him right now boopers is just keep up with water changes to get all the dissolved stuff and poop out of there so that it doesn't hurt him
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #16 
Sakura8

If you're looking for an antibiotic to specifically treat his eyes, then erythromycin is the best choice. But for an antibiotic that will treat a system-wide infection, Seachem Kanaplex is the best choice as others have stated. It is one of only two gram negative antibiotics that I know of that are absorbed effectively through the skin and gills and thus can treat internal infections. The other antibiotic, Maracyn Two (aka minocycline), also absorbs well but it also has great potential to damage the kidneys, is not effective in high pH, becomes toxic easily, and many bacteria are resistant to it. :/ Sadly, it is the more readily available antibiotic.

Another possible choice is using API General Cure. The metronidazole in this medication can be effective in treating anaerobic internal bacterial infections, especially if food is soaked in the medicated water before feeding. It will also take care of any possible internal and external parasites that could be causing the symptoms.

Fortunately, it does not look like the mystery disease although I can see the cause for concern. If it was the disease, the rot on the fins would have advanced to the body within hours and the body would be a graphite color. This is a relief.

Good luck booper. You've gotten some great advice so you're in good hands. :) And welcome to the forum.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#emergency, #malebetta, #sick #help, #wontswim