Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #1 
Sylverlilly

Tank cleaning questions

Hi guys I just had a few things to ask. Changed his water for the first time today. Stormy is in a 5.5 gallon filtered tank. I changed about 50% of his water with gravel vac and rinsed the carbon filter and black sponge in his tank water. Rinsed his decorations with warm tap water. So the questions I have are temperature (I tried to get it pretty close using my hand to touch and feel, I tried the thermometer but it was being stubborn) is a degree or two off ok? His tank is on the warm side since bringing him home about 84-85. Also I used tap water and put in stress coat because it says water conditioner, too. I just wonder can you accidentally use too much? It's not a drop bottle it pours, and was trying do about 1/2 a cap in a gallon jug. But not sure if it was too little or too much? Finally and it's not really a question but maybe someone has advice... His big elaborate decoration of crumbled columns was a bit hard to reanchor in the gravel just right but that's ok right? Stormy was quite the cutie though. He chased the gravel vac everywhere nudging it and chasing my fingers lol. He's so funny. Thanks for reading and any tips :)
Sylverlilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 
Mankey

The stress coat bottle should say how much to put. If I remember correctly, it was 5 mL for 30 gallons. So it would be 1 mL for 6 gallons. Half a cap is using too much, since I'm pretty sure that would be around 2.5 mL. I don't think using too much can really be bad, but it could still lead you to running out quicker than you should.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #3 
sainthogan

A few degrees off in temp is ok. Also, you don't need to worry about taking out and rinsing the decorations off when you do a tank clean. In fact it's better if you don't because beneficial bacteria will grow on those and actually help out the chemical balance in your tank. You also don't need to rinse out the filter and sponge every time either, only once a month, again for the same reason as not washing the decorations. When you do rinse your filter, do it in old tank water, that way the beneficial bacteria don't get rinsed away. Getting rid of all or most of the beneficial bacteria can end up being detrimental to your tank and cause an ammonia spike that can stress or kill your fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 
JellOh

1 or 2 degrees off shouldn't hurt him too much, but if you really want to be accurate you can use a meat thermometer. It's really just a personal choice. You should try to bring the temp of his tank down though. Do you have a heater? Is it adjustable? If its not adjustable I'd turn it off, at least during the day. And think about getting an adjustable one that won't overheat the tank.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #5 
Sylverlilly

Hi guys, thanks for your help. Should I vacuum around the decorations? I just want to make sure I'm doing a good job with the gravel. Ok I will cut down on the stress coat but I'm glad you probably can't do too much. As for a heater I have one, but I can't heat his tank with it being so high. It never falls below 80 in that room at night too. I have not seen it go above 86 though. I keep the room dark and if the temp gets higher I do blow the fn over he water which seems to help, but not as much as I would like. Otherwise I can't help the heat much in there. But he doesn't seem to be lethargic so I haven't been overly concerned about it.
Sylverlilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #6 
sainthogan

You can vacuum around the decorations. If it's really hard, like it is in my tank, you can use a turkey baster to suck up the yucky stuff off and around the decorations. My tanks are narrow, so most vacuums are too big and mess everything up. I use a siphon and then the turkey baster when I clean my tanks.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote