Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #1 
feralhound

skinny rescue with fin rot

Or at least I'm pretty sure it's fin rot. Saw this boy a week ago at Wal-Mart, not in this condition of course. I wanted him then, should have got him then; told myself if he was there when I went back it was meant to be. unfortunately, he was in such appalling condition I knew I had to take him home then. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to help him get well!

Right now he's in a kritter keeper, I only have 1 gallon of water in it.
Added 1 tsp of aquarium salt
.75ml of stress coat
water is at 83 F
since he can't really eat the pellets, I fed him some Betta fish flakes. He's so skinny, and seems to be breathing a little heavy.

sorry these arent' the best pics, I only have an ipod to take pics right now.
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #2 
tngirl92

Wow! He looks just like an orange boy with fin rot I got from Walmart just last week. For several days I also treated mine in a Kritter Keeper. I used Stress Coat and aquarium salt. The aquarium salt may also help with your betta's breathing. He could have a gill infection. Thanks for saving this betta, and good luck!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #3 
feralhound

Thank you! I see your thread now, though the pics won't come up for me- I'm hoping this boy too will start to heal with the propper treatment and water conditions.
Funny there was a new orange vt behind him, when I mentioned the fin rot on my guy the employee asked if I wanted the other. Told her noo I am bound to save this guy!
I try not to make it a habit of supporting Walmart with their live fish otherwise. It's sad when you see them dead floating or depressed in those cups.
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #4 
tngirl92

I agree, I can't bear to let them suffer. I try to never take home a perfectly healthy fish, because I know people will purchase those, and never one too far gone for me to save, because then I am only sad. I find the ones with manageable problems that might otherwise kill them and add them to my family! I am going to try to find a rescue female, too. Whenever I buy a sick fish from Walmart, I always make sure to complain to someone about the conditions, too. The other fish sellers in my area are pretty good caretakers of their fish so I let them slide sometimes when I find a sick one.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote