Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #1 
springniles

Unhappy Betta swallowed thermometer lead beads please help!

This morning I got up and found my betta laying somewhat sideways on his rocks. I observed him for a while & noticed that the bottom of his thermometer was broken & all of the red metal beads that were in the glass are nowhere to be found. My betta is mostly blind from a tumor he's had for about a year. He is 1&1/2 years old. He was totally fine yesterday. I have no doubt that he thought those red beads were his food, & ate them all. He tries to swim & then just sinks back down to the bottom. now he is weak & is having a harder time moving but he still is. Please if anybody has any suggestions let me know ASAP. I tested the water & all the levels are right on. I just did a 50% water change last week. Like I said he was fine when we went to bed last night.
springniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

Sorry i really not sure what is the problem , i am pretty sure he could not swallow it though. He would probobly bleed to death to swallow that glass. But i would think the liquid inside of that glass thermometer can be poisoned for the tank. Not sure if the testing kit will show that. If you tank is not cycled do full water change. If it cycled do a few 50% water changes .Also rinse the filter and cartridge in the tank water or dechlorinated water.
I hope someone else will come to help you.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #3 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

I would put hi in a new container all together and see I the fresh water will make a difference
TorisExtraordinaryBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #4 
tngirl92

Yeah, quarantine him in a hospital container with fresh water and API Stress Coat, if you have any. I think one of the best things you can do at this point is to dose him with epsom salts in the hospital tank. Epsom salts will help him potty. If he did ingest any lead, the faster he can pass the beads, the better. I think lead poisons most animals when ingested, so you need to try to make him comfortable and see if he can pull through it. Epsom salts, in my opinion, will be your best bet right now to encourage a bowel movement and decrease any inflammation. Also, refrain from feeding him any of his fish food until you know what's going on.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #5 
springniles

Thank you, I did try earlier to put him in fresh water & he got worse very quick as he had a hard time getting to the top for air. I have already done the salt in both waters today & put in melafix. But I will dig out his old 1 gallon tank and try that. He is trying so hard to hang in there!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by springniles View Post
Thank you, I did try earlier to put him in fresh water & he got worse very quick as he had a hard time getting to the top for air. I have already done the salt in both waters today & put in melafix. But I will dig out his old 1 gallon tank and try that. He is trying so hard to hang in there!
Melafix is actually not a good thing to use. It may coat the labyrinth organ and suffocate him.

I have no suggestions beyond what others have said. Good luck.
NeptunesMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Fresh water is an absolute necessity!!!! Thermometers contain alcohol. You must remove it from the water ASAP.

Now that he is in new water, I would continue to do partial water changes every few hours in order to draw out any toxins his body has absorbed.

Adding Epsom salt at a dosage of 0.25 to 0.5 teaspoons per gallon is fine. I would NOT use aquarium salt - it is processed by the kidneys, which are already working hard to remove any alcohol or toxins that his body has absorbed. Do NOT use melafix - it is toxic to bettas.

If he has trouble reaching the surface, lower the water level. Also, put some plastic food wrap over the top of the tank to increase humidity levels. This will help him breathe and is calming. (Make sure there is at least several inches of air though.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-30-2013 at 11:56 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #8 
tngirl92

Ditto on cutting out the Melafix. I do not think any medications will help with what is going on with him. Right now the best thing you can give him is clean, warm, conditioned water and epsom salt. If he is having too much trouble swimming to the top for air, lower the water level and include some silk plants or other items he can rest on in your hospital tank.

Out of curiosity, how did your thermometer break? I have a glass thermometer in my tank and now I'm kind of worried...
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #9 
springniles

He is in new water, did 100% water change, cleaned all of his rocks & plants & house. I have the water level at 3/4 to top in 10 gallon tank. He is actually breathing somewhat better this morning, but he's not moving really. I will do a 25% water change every couple of hours & see how that goes. I think this definitely sounds like his best option. I will also add the Epsom salt, thank you for noting the difference between that & aquarium salt. He's still hanging in there I can't believe it. Also I'm not sure when or how the thermometer broke.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Plastic wrap over the top of the tank should help, too. Also, you can keep the tank in a darkened location or cover it with a sheet or towel. Darkness is often calming for them, and can help reduce stress.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beads, betta, bottom of tank