Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #11 
springniles

Thank you, you have been most helpful. Also I'm wondering if I should keep doing what I've been doing, which is putting my clean hand in the tank & bringing him up to the surface for air. The tank is aerated though. He is used to me sticking my fingers in cuz that's how I play with him everyday, but anyway in doing do I'm making sure that he moves around once in a while. He has always let us pet him ( I know that's not good for his coat but he got so used to it & when we tried to stop he got really depressed. Anyway I was just wondering if you think it's best? He's been letting me hold him in the tank ( a few times ) & moves his head to acknowledge me talking to him, and I really think that making him move around a little bit is best for him right? He is just so used to human contact, and I don't just want to let him lay there & die. Am I doing the right thing?
springniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #12 
springniles

P.S the melafix is in the garbage!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #13 
springniles

springniles
User Aquariums

springniles's Posts
Thank you, you have been most helpful. Also I'm wondering if I should keep doing what I've been doing, which is putting my clean hand in the tank & bringing him up to the surface for air. The tank is aerated though. He is used to me sticking my fingers in cuz that's how I play with him everyday, but anyway in doing do I'm making sure that he moves around once in a while. He has always let us pet him ( I know that's not good for his coat but he got so used to it & when we tried to stop he got really depressed. Anyway I was just wondering if you think it's best? He's been letting me hold him in the tank ( a few times ) & moves his head to acknowledge me talking to him, and I really think that making him move around a little bit is best for him right? He is just so used to human contact, and I don't just want to let him lay there & die. Am I doing the right thing? P.S the melafix is in the garbage!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

Long time ago i had a betta who had dropsy . He had it for like 2 wks and last few days were very difficult so i was doing what you are doing. When i understood he is going to die any minute i put him in very shallow bowl so he could stick his head out of the water. I hope your betta will get better.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do whatever you feel makes him the most comfortable.

If he's having trouble reaching the surface, you can lower the water level more so he doesn't have to swim as far.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #16 
springniles

Ok thanks :) he isn't having trouble getting to the surface when I nudge him he zips right up there & gets a gulp of air but otherwise is just lying there not moving much. Time will tell. Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #17 
keepsmiling

I am so sorry. What about almond leaves? It might help, it has healing properties for bettas.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #18 
jona31

how's he doing
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

So he can swim to the surface ok? That's good!

Does his abdomen look extended or distorted at all? Are you sure he ate the metal balls? (Could they be scattered in the gravel?)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #20 
springniles

Hi, he's still alive. Yes he can swim but he is getting slower now & I don't think he goes to the top for air unless I prompt him with my hand. Then it seems he know to go grab some air. When he goes back to the bottom he kinda glides in for a landing, hitting his mouth on the gravel then just lays however. His side has taken on a goldish tint. I'm starting to wonder if he has velvet? I'm not sure if he did swallow the balls or not. When I combed through his gravel, I found the glass from the thermometer & only 1 metal bead. But I only searched 3/4 of his gravel & left the rest out. There were 6 rust marks on the very bottom of the tank. So I just don't know anymore. His body looks like it might have something that has slowly moved down towards the back & 3 days ago he was puffed up more around under his gills. Now that isn't like that. I'm wondering about getting some vitamin c for him as I read that could help in this case? Totally at a loss of what to do besides changing his water & the Epsom salt. He is one tough fish. I haven't heard about the other stuff but I'm going to the store & will see if they have any. I think I might buy the medication for velvet too. All I have is erythromycin & tetracycline, both of which I don't think will help & I'm pretty hesitant about the stuff for velvet too. This goldish tint really has me questioning what's going on.

Tags
beads, betta, bottom of tank