Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #21 
springniles

Goldish/ brownish tint. He is blue/red betta. His face has been a little brownish for some time now though.
springniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #22 
keepsmiling

I don't see how the balls were lead. It would have killed him by now. Heck lead kills a bird practically in a day. Lead would not have left rust either I don't think? Maybe they were just steel?
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #23 
springniles

I guess they might be steal, I just assumed they were lead because of the description of the thermometer in the fish forums. It was just a cheapo thermometer.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #24 
LittleBlueFishlets

It could be lead or steel. Both are used in aquatic thermometers....

But I would think that if he ate this, you'd see a bulge from it.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #25 
springniles

Yeah, he has had a little bulge moving down his body. I didn't buy any antibiotics. The pet zoo ( that's all we have here in Alaska ) girl recommended that I put him in a med tank with Distilled water , Epsom salt, & stress Zyme. And change that out 2x a day which is how often I've been changing his water. I'm wondering what everybody thinks about that? We don't have any speciality fish stores up here either so I couldn't find any vitamin c for fish tanks so I'm thinking I will go buy straight vitamin c pills, crush it up & put it in the tank. I'm talking like a really small dose like 40mg in his big tank or a tiny little piece in his smaller 1 gallon med tank ( like 5 mg ). So advice about the Distilled water anybody?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #26 
LittleBlueFishlets

No... No distilled water!

Living organisms needs electrolytes in order to survive. Distilled water does not contain these electrolytes. Humans can't drink it (on a regular basis), and fish can't live in it....

Also, putting him in distilled water will make him retain fluid. He'll end up becoming bloated, and could develop swim buoyancy issues because of it.

If you want to use a different water, get bottled DRINKING water from the store. Look for one that says something like "minerals added for flavor." These minerals are the electrolytes we all need to maintain good health.

But really, I think his regular (tap) water is fine. I don't think you need to change it. He's doing well in it.

Epsom salt has a laxative effect. If he swallowed a metal ball, he needs to work it out of his system. Epsom salt is the best thing for doing that. However, it needs a day or two to work on normal constipation. Eliminating a metal ball may take even longer than this. (I hope he can eliminate it, and that it doesn't cause a blockage.)

Why are you considering Vitamin C? I would hesitate to add a tablet since there are dyes, fillers and binders in the vitamin tablet. I don't know the effect of these on fish.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #27 
springniles

Well I'm glad I didn't go buy any Distilled water! Anyway I'm considering vitamin c because it helps the liver rid the body of toxins. The same should apply to fish. I read online that it helps fish health & color of everything in the tank apparently & personally am a big believer in vitamins so that's why I was kinda thinking about that. And I know he's made it 3 days, but he has gotten progressively worse each day. I put him in his 1 gallon tank today with complete fresh water, stress Zyme, Epsom, conditioner, & easy balance. No rocks, house, plants- Nothing but a new hammock for him. Now he won't move at all without my help. And I have been watching really closely & he's gotta have some serious blockage going on cuz I haven't seen him go poop at all. Nothing. But then again I've never seen him go ever- neither has my husband! It should be easier to see now with nothing in his little tank though. He's got a bump down that way now but i think it's too big for him to pass. How long should I let him go with no bowel movement?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #28 
springniles

Also I didn't think the Distilled water seemed like the right thing to do & I asked why she recommended that & she said it was because it would make his lungs work harder & help him rid the toxins faster or better? I thought this didn't seem right. Distilled water isn't fit for any living thing that I know of so I'm glad you got back to me & reassured me & educated me yet again! Thank you :)
Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #29 
springniles

I'm getting a lot of info from this link:
www.livingreefs.com/use-vitamin-c-t590....

But I've also been on numerous other sites checking it out.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #30 
Narny105

Melafix is not toxic when used correctly, which is 1/4th the recommended dose. All treatments are potentially toxic when overdosed or dosed incorrectly. I have not once come across an accredited scientific journal article suggesting this about melafix; only amateur keepers threads blaming a medication for which something else could have easily resulted in the death of the fish. In relation to the anatomy of bettas and the way medications travel through the body, I can't find much sense in suggestions made about it. Still, there are much better treatment options, and medications should always be a last resort.

I'm not meaning to sound rude as that is not my intention at all- text is often misinterpreted with a lack of smilies lol

As little blue fishlets has said, the main issue here, is not only poisoning (the materials the thermometers contain aren't necessarily toxic to fish, and to be honest it is not the biggest risk) but the beads blocking and forming obstructions within the digestive tract.

How long has he been in epsom and at what dosage?

Secondly, how is he in terms of digestive function? What do his poo's look like?

How is he behaving? Is he still bloated?

As it has been said, he may have not eaten any, but please post some pictures if you can since you think he may have other issues?

As for pet store advice, ignore it. Most are given basic information and know little to nothing about diagnosing and treating fish. If you do get advice, take it with light intentions and do not rely on it.

Thanks!
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beads, betta, bottom of tank