Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #1 
kvw1988

Epsom salt

Hey guys,

I have a baby betta from petco. He is my avatar and as you can see he has a bent spine. I think because his organs a compressed because of the deformity he has a case of chronic constipation. I've been using epsom salt for him with good results, but I just wanted to know if it was okay to leave that in there on a permanent basis or how often I should use it.

kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #2 
BettaPrincess13

As far as how often you can use it I'm not 100% sure but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis though only for when your betta really needs the treatment.

as for how long, I was told by a few members that you shouldn't exceed 14 days with both epsom salt or AQ salt treatment. the most I used epsom salt was about 4 days until my betta was able to pass his internal parasite and then I immediately assimilated him back to his regular tank. Epsom salt won't hurt them but I don't think it would be good for them to live in salty water for a long period of time

Hope your Betta recovers well (: he's a beautiful fish (:
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I was told by a very respected member on this board that epsom salts can be used indefinitely in the tank in low doses. But aquarium salt can only be used for 14 days.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #4 
darkangel

TBH, I think if your fish doesn't need it then its probably best not to have it.

bettas are freshwater fish, adding any kind of salt makes their water not ideal for their wellbeing.

if he is bloated a lot, I think maybe you should feed less and maybe crush his pellets? I read higher temperature also make digestion faster so maybe make his temps higher?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on what sainthogan wrote. You can use Epsom salt for as long as is needed. Some bettas stay on a low dosage all the time to help with issues like SBD.

What dosage are you using?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #6 
tngirl92

It's important to remember that epsom salt is not actually salt. It is magnesium sulfate. Like some others have said, you could never leave real salt in your aquarium for too long. That will be really stressful for the fish and possibly harm their kidneys. But the right dosage of epsom salt will be fine.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

@tngirl - From a chemistry perspective, all ionic compounds are "salts." Magnesium sulfate and sodium chloride are both "salts." However, they have different chemical and physical properties..... Sodium salts put stress on the kidneys (and increases blood pressure in humans), which is why long-term use of sodium chloride is problematic.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #8 
kvw1988

Thanks for all the replies everyone. He currently get .5tsp per gallon, so 1.5 tsp in his 3 gallon tank. Since he is a baby I do 50% water changse every other day, but only on days when I do a 100%, basically once a week do I redo the dosage.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

Have you tried using a slightly lower dosage? 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon is OK.... but you'll want to use the lowest dosage that's effective for him.

In other words, if you can get the same results using 0.25 tsp/gal, or 0.33 tsp/gal, then that would be preferable to using the higher dosage.

But if you've tried this already, and he really needs the 0.5 tsp/gal, then continue to use this dosage.

What do you feed him? Foods that contain a lot of grains/fillers can be constipating. For example, foods that have a lot of corn, wheat, soybean, rice, gluten, etc can cause constipation issues. On this forum, the two most often recommended foods are New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Both contain a lot of proteins, and are less likely to cause constipation.

Also, if you can get live foods, especially mosquito larvae, this may help a lot. And a lot of people have had success feeding frozen daphnia.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #10 
kvw1988

He gets Omega pellets, but I'll try the live foods, thanks :)