Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #1 
Kim

Guess what I got today...

2 new bettas! This is actually the first time I've been able to get 2 at the same time ! So, they're both being acclimated to their temporary tanks right now and my room has turned into a disaster area! I had to empty a bin from my closet to make room for the girl, and now I've got 2 sets of clamps sticking off of my 29 gallon that I have to remember not to bang into . Not to mention the mess on my floor. Oh well, the bettas are sooo worth it!

So, I got a green/red veiltail boy with the creamiest white body, and a cellophane girl who I think is actually a marble in disguise . She has actually gotten some hints of color on her just being in warmer water. I think she might be a PK (female though, because she has an ovidepositor) too, because she's just really stocky looking. She makes my little Dizzle look like a baby. Actually, I was a little disappointed with Petco today. It looked like they were inbetween shipments, and besides not having many tail types, all the bettas looked pretty crummy and the cups were filthy.

So, later one they are both going to go into my 15 gallon planted tank, which I decided to divide. I was just going to get one giant betta to put in it, but some complaining from my mom about "only having 1 fish in 15 gallons of water" and my own desire to have tons of bettas made me change my mind.

The thing that made me sad though, is that there was this one crowntail there that was floating on his side, obviously constipated but really not looking good. I was going to ask to take him, but I walked away and came back and he was gone! My mom said a guy took him to "the desk" where they just keep the sick fish until they die. I don't really have any more room....but maybe I'll try to convince my mom to go back and get him because I just can't stop thinking about him. I was kind of feeling sick (been sick all week) so that's why I didn't insist while I was there.

Anyway, pictures to come once I'm done acclimating and they settle in. I love getting new bettas!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Congrats on the new bettas, Kim! :) Isn't that 5 now? You caught up to me! They sound beautiful. More picspam, please! lol I'm thinking about #6 in April, when my Mom is gone for a few days. lol Yes, a messy room is SO worth it. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. Maybe the new bettas will perk you up. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #3 
Kim

Yup, they're #4 and #5!
I'm about to release them soon, so pictures will come.
My mom actually bought me the bettas to perk me up! It's my vacation and I've missed it all so far :( I'm an active person and I was going to do all kinds of stuff (lots of running, skiing, karate, sparring, maybe ice skating & cross-country skiing, oh and hiking, etc.) so I've been pretty bummed.

I should guilt my dad into picking up that little crowntail for me. I'm sure he'd rather have his rays curl than die!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #4 
Livelifelaughlove

Lol guilt is always a good thing! well at least when you want something.
My mom usually will feel guilty and buy me music or books or something... haven't tried fish yet... but she does have this $25 gift card to walmart that we got free, but she hates walmart. We actually went there to spend it, and we spent $5 of it, and $2 was on a little cave for Surimi... So i am trying to get her to give it to me and then i can buy more fish stuff... hmmm what does she have to be guilty about? lol

Best of luck with them!
I want pics! i want pics!
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope you can get that other crowntail. :)
Old 02-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #6 
Kim

I just found out that my dad's not going in that direction :(
I'll try, but I don't think it's going to work.

I released the 2 new ones into their tanks. The male was flaring like crazy at his thermometer, and the female just doesn't seem to know what to do with all that space!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #7 
willow

sorry to hear you're not well :(
glad you got some nice new wet pets :)
look forward to the pictures. :)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Did you ever name the halfmoon?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #9 
Kim

My mom and I named all my unnamed bettas today, they are:

- Victor: new veiltail boy
- Edelweiss: new PK girl
- Diva: Dizzle didn't stick so I renamed my little VT girl
- Cassanova: my Super-Delta boy
- Prof. Lupin: he still has his original name but I didn't want to leave him out

So here's the pictures. The quality is REALLY bad, but the tank doesn't have a light over it yet, so there's not much I could do. The other problem is that Edelweiss is in a plastic bin, and Victor's tank is not really clear either. Here goes anyway .

Victor (named because of the epic war he has been having with his thermometer ever since I brought him home)
Name:  IMG_0002.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  58.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0007.JPG
Size:  60.7 KB

Now here's Edelweiss. Unfortunately you can't see her pink spots because of the bad pic quality, but you get the idea. Notice how stocky she is - she's a big girl, but so shy!
Name:  IMG_0004.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  69.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0006.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  63.7 KB

Here's the setup. See the ridiculous number of clamps . And you can't even see how far they stick out here - it's pretty bad!
Name:  IMG_0011.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  78.6 KB

Here's their future tank. It's got a LOT of growing in to do, but there are lots of little plants on the bottom that are starting to grow well - really well considering they had to be bleach-dipped!
Name:  IMG_0012.JPG
Size:  86.4 KB

And totally off topic, but here's Cassanova's HUGE bubble nest! He's been soooo excited since I put Diva next to him, and it's really cute how he shows off for her. She's interested in watching him but could care less for all his showing off so it's hilarious! This thing's his baby, really he's been working on it for days and by now it covers a good third of his half of the tank.
Name:  IMG_0008.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  70.6 KB

Of course, I tried to get better pictures of Diva, but the second I showed her the camera she BOLTED across the tank and hid behind a plant. She was so terrified by the camera that she had a stress stripe and everything! 2 seconds after I took it away all her color returned - it was that fast !

Alright, enough of my bantering. I hope you like my picspam, and more pictures will come soon once the light's up.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice tank! The fish are beautiful and I love the names, especially Edelweiss. :)