Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #1 
Nataku

What do you look for in a betta?

I'm curious what you all personally look for when you go out betta hunting. I want to see if there's any patterns common among you all, or if betta owners are as varied as the bettas themselves.

Do you like the crown tails or the half moons? Stick with the classic VTs? What's your favorite type? Is color more important to you than tail style? Do you have a color preference? What about patterns, do you like them or do you prefer solid colors? Males or females? Do you like getting them when they're still babies and haven't fully grown in their fins, as adults, or does it not matter? Is there a certain attitude you look for in the fish? Do you go out looking with a certain goal already in mind, or is it whichever fish convinces you s/he is the one? Will you even consider buying a fish if it is already clearly ill in the fish store? Have you ever bought a betta on impulse?
Any other particular things you do when on the hunt for your next fish?
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #2 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

You have asked alot of questions and I know there are plenty of members here who will have great input. I'll answer one question about how I selected both my bettas. On each trip to the store I asked which betta had been there the longest. That was the one I took home with me each time.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #3 
veganchick

I got both my bettas as rescues, but If i was to buy a betta from the store I would buy one who looked like they needed a home, but still had a chance to live...
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #4 
Nataku

Oh wow, I never even thought to ask if duration of the fish in the store was a factor. Thank you for the input!
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #5 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Yes, as far as bettas are concerned it's a factor for me.
As far as my other fish I select for deepness of color, robust energy, no visible signs of illness & I asked for them to be feed while I'm there so I know that they've got good appetites.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like crowntails, halfmoons and doubletails. I think tail type is more important to me. I like solids and multicolors.I like males and females. Females have as much personality as the males. I would love to have ayoung one and watch it grow into a beautiful adult.I never have any particular goal in mind when I shop for a betta. I see one I like, I get it. :) I try to get one that has a bubblenest going in his cup and is active.I try to pick one that is healthy. If someone gave me one that was sick then I would try to save it. I bought my female on impulse. I have 5 and would like to get another.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #7 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
I'm curious what you all personally look for when you go out betta hunting. I want to see if there's any patterns common among you all, or if betta owners are as varied as the bettas themselves.

Do you like the crown tails or the half moons? Stick with the classic VTs? What's your favorite type? Is color more important to you than tail style? Do you have a color preference? What about patterns, do you like them or do you prefer solid colors? Males or females? Do you like getting them when they're still babies and haven't fully grown in their fins, as adults, or does it not matter? Is there a certain attitude you look for in the fish? Do you go out looking with a certain goal already in mind, or is it whichever fish convinces you s/he is the one? Will you even consider buying a fish if it is already clearly ill in the fish store? Have you ever bought a betta on impulse?
Any other particular things you do when on the hunt for your next fish?
Ok, I'll attempt to answer all these questions .

I like all tail types, but I can't have crowntails because my water is too hard. If I were to pick my favorite I'd have to say HM though. Color is more important than tail style to me. For example, I'll choose a colorful veiltail over a bland HM. I love patterns and prefer them over solid colors, although if it is an odd solid color I like that too (like my little turquoise girl). I don't really like certain kinds of marbling over the face though, because I like fish that have cute eyes. I like both males and females. I like getting them young because then I will have them longer, but I will get older ones if they look like they need rescueing. As far as attitude, I look for the one that is looking at me for help. I don't care if he/she is spunky or calm or anything in between because I pretty much like all bettas that will interact with me. I don't usually have a goal in mind when looking for fish (although I have a lot of blues, so I looked for a non-blue betta this time around). I have taken ill fish (once from a store, and once from a teacher). I've never impulse-bought a betta (because I keep cycled tanks), but I did take one home from school on an impulse. Sometimes I'll take the fish in the dirtiest cup, or the one that I think no one else will want .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #8 
stephenmontero

I always pick the one that appears most active in the cup. Since usually its stress related. Although I think I done with bettas for a while. Danios are just to fun!
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #9 
kamazza

I like all types of bettas. I look for a healthy fish with unusual coloration. My two favorites were a pink and orange betta(RIP) and my blue and orange betta.
kamazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #10 
Livelifelaughlove

I generally lean toward male halfmoon or delta-tail bettas. i usually end up getting one that is flaring at its neighbor b/c one i feel bad for it that they are so close, and two, i know he is going to have personality.
I think the tail is slightly more important for me over color, but not much. i have a blue and a purplish betta so i try not to get one of those colors, but i would if i decided to get one that day, then i would take a blue crowntail or VT over a dull halfmoon

I like them younger... just because i guess. i like them little-er and am still not sure whether i like marbling on the face. kidna reminds me of a calico cat...

So i guess it kinda depends on the fish its self
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta hunt look for shop