Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 
Dej92

Aquabid Buyers Beware!

I just got two fish from Aquabid, maybe they got me like everyone else. I was so excited to see all the beautfiful fish! I got 3 of them my first time buying. Well the two I got from Betta Akepes were horrible, one had fin damamge before he left thailand I knew about that but I liked him and said just send him anyway. The other chewed off half his tail in transit. They will neve look like their aquabid pictures again unforunately. Both were sickly and not eating and had a hard time swimming as well. It took the bettas 6 days to get to my house with priority shipping.

I'm not sure if any of you were suckered in like me, and I'd love to buy more fish from Aquabid but at this point the petsmart bettas look better than my $30 bettas each. I'm just not sure its possible to get the bettas in thailand over here and still have them looking as beautiful as their Aquabid photos. I just don't anymore. Its so sad.

I'm disappointed, I think it will be more fun to raise the petco baby bettas now instead.

Last edited by Dej92; 06-30-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #2 
Deanna01

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but it does not sound like either of these were the sellers' fault, or that you were "suckered" at all. Some fish do chew their tails when being shipped; the seller can't help that. I have a female I got from that seller that I am very happy with.

At this point I have 30 bettas I have bought from Aquabid, and there was only one that I am a bit disappointed with. In that case, it was simply a matter of my not being aware of what plakat males looked like at rest rather than flared.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

You could buy from US breeders. It doesn't seem like they are posting much on aquabid though. I have been looking everyday for at least two months and very little is from US breeders. You'd have to contact them directly. Something else you can try is there are at least two transhippers selling imported betta on aquabid. They are already here so that eliminates the hassle. Hopdiggity had some nice ones on not long ago. Ebay is yet another place to locate stock. There is a seller that is selling packages. 4-6 fish from their spawns. Seems like a good deal as they post good photos of their parent stock and you get several to choose from. Yet another USA option is to buy from a betta or fish shop. The fish are imported and much nicer than what you will find at the store IMHO.

IME the fish would have to be mighty nice for me to import. Let me rephrase...they would have to be dang near perfect before I went through the hassle of importing.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #4 
TankDiveGirl

Just FYI -- if the fish took 6 days to get to you from the transhipper, you should have used Express Mail. Also, it's not uncommon for fish to lose some condition in shipping. The transhipper is supposed to change the water, re bag the fish, and then ship them to you. If your transhipper didn't do this, perhaps next time you should use a different transhipper.

In addition, it will take the fish some time to acclimate to your water conditions, ESPECIALLY if they've shipped from overseas. They have huge changes to go through -- water conditions, food, temperature, and also if they were not acclimated correctly they'll have ammonia burns and other health issues that they must overcome.

As for them "not looking as good as they did on Aquabid ever again," well, fins grow back, especially in warm, clean water with a high protein diet. They'll be fine.

I'd look at your husbandry before you blame the Thai breeders or the transhipper for your import fish not doing as well as you'd hoped.

J
Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

I love, love, love the Bettas on AquaBid. However, unless breeding, I'm with Ilikebutterflies on paying so much for fish + shipping. Now if I were breeding and couldn't find a US-based breeder with what I wanted......well......

How was the third Betta? Did he arrive with the other two? Or was it another transhipper?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #6 
Dej92

Well, being concerned about fin rot and other illnesses with those two betta I sadly flushed them. I had to :( Please understand I had a heart transplant three yrs ago. If they were sick in anyway they could get me very sick. My third betta HM he was fine. All three betta I chose from betta askepes had tail issues, two before they left thialand. I'm sure he's a good seller but maybe a water issue? I don't know.

I have my one HM from Thailand now and a yellow and white juvinelle dragon scale I rescued from pet smart today.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #7 
Fenghuang

I am sorry you had such a bad experience; however, I assure you that does not happen all the time. These are our threes' before-and-afters. They just came in last week and the after pictures were taken right out (or the in the bag in the female's case) of the bag. One is HMDT that is practically all fins and he arrived in perfect condition. Any differences from the auction pictures were due to marbling and I expected them.

Boy 1

Boy 2

Girl

Last edited by Fenghuang; 06-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #8 
Canis

Just want to let you know that it is illegal to flush fish. I don't think that bettas can get you sick, especially with fin rot. You could have easily rehomed the fish or brought them to a pet store. I just hope they were actually dead before you flushed them, otherwise they will slowly die of toxins and ammonia in the sewer water.

I'm glad your other fish is okay.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #9 
sarahspins

One of mine was severely damaged by the transshipper because of mishandling... she shipped my fish on a freaking Thursday night, and somehow that fish FAILED to actually make it out of town for delivery on Friday (tracking shows acceptance on Thursday at 7pm, but it didn't start moving until the next day), and we don't get USPS express delivery on Saturday, so it didn't get to me until Monday. Needless to say I had a beautiful halfmoon show up with basically no fins at all. All attempts to contact the transshipper went unanswered. I had left a message with my shipping payment letting her know that we don't have saturday delivery and I was uncomfortable with the idea of my fish getting shipped the day I sent the payment, AND I emailed her, and still it happens.. pure neglegence. I should have filed a claim with paypal, but I didn't.

So yeah, $50 fish, that was BEAUTIFUL on aquabid, plus about $40 in shipping, and I have a fish who looks like a trashed mess.. I could go buy any $5 fish that looks MUCH nicer.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

I've read fish who are flushed don't die immediately they die a slow lingering death. It doesn't sound like they needed to go. Please read up on euthanization of fish. For overseas the fish should definitely go Express. I figured that is probably really expensive so I bought in the USA. There are 4-7 USA breeders on AB currently.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 06-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Closed Thread