Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Poor fish. It's perfectly normal for imports to bite their fins, particularly if it took six days for the parcel to reach your house.

The lethargy and difficulty swimming was probably down to stress from not only new water conditions, but also the trip from your transhipper's place to yours.

There are very few diseases you can catch from pet fish. The only one that immediately springs to mind is fish TB and that's only if you have open wounds that come into contact with infected fish/water.

I too hope the fish were dead before you flushed them as that is a horrific way to die.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #12 
Pandoras

What a waste of fish .... and potential contamination of the water system and cruel deaths for the fish.

FYI, fin rot is onset of bad parameters in addition to tail biting, if it hasn't set in the body, the fish could have been fine. Secondly, fish can do amazing turn arounds.

You should have seriously considered rehoming the fish, we would have taken them. We would have paid shipping as well.

Also, those AB fish posted above as comparison are mine (they're Feng and my fish).
Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #13 
DoctorWhoLuver

Those fish might not have been sick. They could have been stressed. After all they were in a completely dark environment, in tiny plastic bags for a week. My AB girl looked very sick the first two days. Clamped up and breathing really fast. However, after two days of clean water and care she perked up right away.
Diseases transmitted between species are very rare. :(
Old 06-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Flushing down the toilet is a horrific, slow way to die sadly. It's illegal too. I really hope you humanly euthanized them first. Like others said, very few fish diseases can be transmitted to humans and the diseases that can be are generally not very severe.

Fish can make wonderful turnarounds like another poster said, their fins grow back relatively quickly and they can easily return to their former glory in time. Fin rot is extremely easy to cure, usually all you need is clean water.

The seller was not at fault at all in this case. He warned you that one of them had damaged fins and you accepted that, and fin biting in transit is relitively common. If anything, it sounds like there were things you could have done, like payed for express shipping.

If you are worried about this happening again but would like to have beautiful aquabid fish, I would suggest buying from American sellers and using express shipping.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 06-30-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #15 
peachii

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Just throwing this out there to anyone reading this - If at any time you order AB fish and they come in beat up, sickly looking and you do not like them - please contact me and we can arrange some type of shipping before you just flush them.

I'd kill for even a beat up, half dead AB fish but they are so expensive. I'd happily nurse them back to health.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #16 
Fenghuang

My opinions are the same as the last few posters. /: And like my girlfriend Pandoras said, we would have been happy to take them off your hands...

I noticed that you said you are thinking about raising Petco babies instead now. Baby bettas require much more frequent water changes in order for them to grow and develop properly. Just letting you know since I saw you mentioning that you cannot do a lot of work right now.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 06-30-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #17 
Ilikebutterflies

Hmmm...I'm thinking you should rethink your fish hobby if you are scared an ill fish will kill you. If you are in such poor shape it's best to not even take the chance of contracting TB from fish. I'm sure that will save the lives of several fish...
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #18 
JellOh

Maybe you should take up knotting or scrapbooking? Anyone that can flush a live fish that was a little beat up and very stressed because they were afraid it would catch the human equivalent of a sniffle probably shouldn't be dealing with animals of any kind.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #19 
Canis

If you ever have a doubt about your ability to care for an animal, in sickness or in health, just don't get it. If my cat got sick, I wouldn't throw her out the door. When I got her, I was aware that she could have problems that could rack up a vet bill. The same goes for a fish and any other animal that you get. There are very few diseases that can be contracted from fish.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #20 
Dej92

Sounds like you used Linda as your transshipper. I used Linda in CO as mine. She did not rebag my fish or put clean water in the bags AND she suggested to me to use priority 2-3 day shipping!!!! When I showed her my betta she said he did not look like that with me, that happened between CO to to you in FL.

Seriously?!?!? She suggest priority mail! So now $60 for two fish and $32.00 for shipping gone!
Closed Thread