Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #21 
Dej92

Have you ever had an organ transplant? I had heart transplant May 28, 2010, I received a heart from a 21 yr old girl. I love betta and animals but one of the dirtiest places to put your hands is in fish tanks, if these fish had a bacterial illness it could make me very sick and put me in the hospital, it can be hard for people to understand if you have not been through what I have.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #22 
DoctorWhoLuver

Was the water yellow? I used Linda as well. She only rebags if the fish are kept over a week. The amount of carbon dioxide in the plastic bag builds up over time, which neutralizes ammonia buildup. By opening the bag, you introduce oxygen which makes ammonia toxic once again.
If weather permits, priority could be fine. Although I don't know why she would recommend priority over such a distance.
Edit: I'm sorry if we came off as harsh. We love bettas as well and want the best for them. I agree that a fish tank is extremely dirty. It might be better for your health if you put off fishkeeping for awhile if you are concerned :) I'm really sorry if I have offended you in any way.

Last edited by DoctorWhoLuver; 06-30-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #23 
Fenghuang

Actually, it is recommended to not put in new water to ship fish because swapping out water actually stresses them out. So, Linda did nothing wrong by leaving them in the original packaging. From what I've heard, that has always been Linda's way of doing things (and she is used by many Aquabid buyers) and she never takes fish out unless she is keeping them for a while.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 06-30-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

I think people are concerned about the fact you flushed two fish.

Also, you probably run just as much risk from contracting something from fish purchased in big box stores such as Petsmart and Petco. Probably more because of the less than ideal conditions they are usually housed in.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #25 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
Have you ever had an organ transplant? I had heart transplant May 28, 2010, I received a heart from a 21 yr old girl. I love betta and animals but one of the dirtiest places to put your hands is in fish tanks, if these fish had a bacterial illness it could make me very sick and put me in the hospital, it can be hard for people to understand if you have not been through what I have.
Then you should definitely get out of fish. I do not see how you will possibly be able to avoid the chance of a sick fish. Fish get sick with bacterial illness. That's why we all keep antibiotics on hand...because it DOES happen. We are not in the same danger zone as you.

There is simply no way for you to know if a fish has a bacterial illness or if it is just stressed or just has a parasite without doing a few days if investigation and trouble shooting. By then you could be infected and well on your way to death.

Since you are immuno compromised you would do best to get out of fish. Prolly best for the fish involved too.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #26 
Fenghuang

Agreeing with LBF. Petco/Petsmart/Petland/etc. All those places run rampant with fish disease. I was at a Petland recently and saw one dead betta showing evidence of TB just out in the open next to all the other bettas. I doubt those stores do the best job making sure their stock don't cross-contiminate.

And a lot of bacteria that get fish sick are always in the water. Often, it is only when the fish's immune systems are compromised by stress, less than ideal conditions, poor care, etc. that the symptoms show up.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #27 
Pandoras

I have to agree with Ilikebutterflies in this; which ever way you look at it, your hands are going to get fish water on them. Secondly, in the same motion it took to flush the fish, you could have rehomed them.

You are getting negative feedback because you flushed two fish which were likely by products of stress.

You have not clarified whether the fish were dead or alive when you did so, and the lack of knowing concludes the fish were alive. Especially since you defaulted to "I had to do it."

Bettas can be neurotic and tail biters which can lead to fin rot, if you are going to be irresponsible and flush every fish with a tail/fin issue, fish may not be for you.

Again, Feng and I would have taken them off your hands - almost any of us here would have over having the fish simply flushed.

Don't be an irresponsible owner. You got the fish while fully aware of your own health situation, so don't use that as a crutch to ditch fish who potentially only need some TLC or because they're not as pretty as you imagined. Whatever the case may be, you should seriously reconsider what your doing and think about your health, too.

Last edited by Pandoras; 06-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #28 
Canis

+1 on Pandoras
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #29 
cowboy

I am sorry to hear about the experience you had, for your health problems and for the fish. I don't agree with discarding the fish in that manner but I'm not in your shoes so I cannot comment. Lets close this conversation, I think everyone has made their point and the poster probably has much better insight now.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #30 
cowboy

What does everyone think? Would it be a good idea to start a thread of people who would be willing to take bettas in emergencys? That way everyone would benefit, especially the fish.
Closed Thread