Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #31 
LittleDeer

Okay, thank you so much.

I gave her a pellet just now, and she seemed happy to have it. I'm gonna leave it at that for now, since she's quite small. She could probably eat another, but I don't want to give her too much if things are pushed together in her belly right now. I wish I had small enough plant to give her a little bit of comfort in the little tank while she's in there, but the smallest one I have is with Ben and the Cories, and it would probably take up the whole critter keeper. I think keeping her covered is helping a little, though.

I'm not really sure if she was able to see Ben, the tank for the girls is along the wall perpendicular to Ben's tank and about three feet away. So I guess its possible she could have seen him briefly. Actually, It looks like Gylfie may be making a bubble nest too.

Haha, this is kind of funny, because Ben only tried to make a bubble nest when he first got into the ten gallon, but hasn't made one again. I'm not sure if its because of the bubbles from the air stone, since on one half of the tank they kind of disturb the surface of the water and would pop any bubbles in a bubble nest, or if he just isn't a nest builder. The first Betta I ever had several years ago would make Bubble nests all the time. Though I've never actually watched them make the nests, so I guess that explains my worry, haha.

Oh, I also just noticed Alice seems to have some pieces of her anal fin missing/torn off. They aren't frayed and I see no fin rot, so I'm not sure why she's like that. I didn't notice it before because she kind of clamped up a little once I got her home, but she's stopped clamping and she does have damage to her anal fin. Looks like two maybe centimeter long chunks taken out. I'm positive its not fin rot, as there is no fraying or color difference, and its only on her anal fin. Perhaps its damage from where she was shipped from? The other girls have no fin damage at all.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #32 
LittleDeer

I've been debating for a bit actually. And I'm actually thinking I may not do a Sorority. I've been kind of worrying about it, and females are difficult to find around here, so I may not be able to get a good number of them.

I'm gonna be rearranging my room a bit, because I need to get rid of some stuff. I think, I may actually divide the tank for two of the girls, and get another tank for the third girl. I do have limited space, so my options are limited. I don't really like the look of divided tanks, and I would prefer them to have their own tanks, so I may opt to get two smaller tanks instead of dividing one so I can fit the two smaller ones on my shelves (my shelves are wider than they are tall, so I can't fit anything bigger than maybe a 3.3 gallon, because the hood on the five gallons my LPS has are too high for my shelf, and my desk has a TV on it along with the ten gallon I set up the other day. But its not a lot of space.

I'm trying to plan this out while they're still basically in QT. I mean, I suppose its best to figure this out now so I can get things set up ASAP for them.For the purposes of space, and making sure they're all comfortable. I may move everything from the ten gallon to my five gallon and keep that on my desk. I'll save the ten gallon for some other time, since I'm sure I'll have a use for it at some point, but it does take up more space than is ideal for my room right now, unless I sacrifice my TV. Which really isn't an option for me, since I am guilty of gaming with a lot of my free time. But I think It would be just fine to have one girl in a five gallon, so I have space, and she still has plenty of space. And then see if I can find some setups for the other two girls that will fit in my room and be comfortable for them without being a problem.

I guess this may be a disappointment. I did really want to start a sorority, but I just don't know if my heart could handle it, I'm not very experienced with Bettas, and watching the behavior of the girls, mostly Gylfie, I have a feeling there may be trouble putting this group together. And I will probably have trouble finding more girls to put in a Sorority. I should have probably thought about this beforehand, but I am prepared to make sure all three girls are comfortable. I really want what's best for them, and I think following my instinct is what will be best for them in this situation. I don't want to have to be constantly worried about them. But I don't mind having to go out and get seperate tanks for them if it means they will all be safe, and I won't have to worry.

I really don't want to go less than five gallons for any of them, but my space is limited, and dividing the tanks I have that I have space for, they would have less than five gallons anyway. I did see a 3.3 gallon "kit" at petsmart that comes with a filter and hood that is a good price, and I wouldn't mind getting two of them in addition to getting some heaters to go along with them. I know at least five gallons is ideal, but I know some people on here have their Bettas divided in tanks where they have less than five galloons and are doing well. I've seen that 3 gallons is a good amount as well, so I figure 3.3 would be comfortable for them. What do you guys think?

Again, I'd absolutely love for them to all have five gallons, but I don't have the space for it. But I think they would do well in 3.3's from what I have read. As long as they have all their needs met. I mean if I absolutely have to divide a ten gallon, I can find some way to move things around to have the five gallon and ten gallon set up, but I would have to actually move furniture, which I can't do on my own, and I would probably have to actually get rid of furniture.

I'm sorry, I'm kind of rambling.

Anyway, do you think getting two of the girls 3.3 gallons would be okay? They would be heated and filtered and I'd rig up an air pump to a gang valve for aeration as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually the tank minimum is up to you. My personal minimum is 2 gallons but all my boys reside in 3 gallons to 3.3 (the 10 is split three ways) except the two babies who each have 2.75 gallons to themselves.

I know those rectangle 2.5's would be absolutely fantastic for them since they are a low profile so they can fit most anywhere, they still unfortunately cost about 15 for just the tank but you don't necessarily need a filter, just really a heater and maybe a hood. I don't use hoods on most of my tanks though, if you want, Saran wrap is great! lol

also I don't recommend extra aeration for Betta's since they do have to breathe air; they like calmer surfaces to breathe easier. Unlike other fish, Betta's actually need to breathe air, that's a main difference. Other fish, can breathe air but Betta's /need/ to breathe air so yeah, no extra surface movement's is what they prefer.

So anyway it's up to you, if you feel that they shouldn't have less than 3.3 gallons then go with it but having 5 gallons is totally not necessary. It just depends on if you can keep up with the maintenance or not. if you keep your tanks clean, a Betta can happily live in a 1 gallon! But obviously if you just leave him/her there then it's not good and that's why people recommend larger tanks but it's really up to you and what you feel comfortable doing.

And no worries, one day you can have a sorority but for now you can just enjoy your lovely girls in their own territories which they will love by the way! They aren't social by nature so they don't /need/ to be with other females, so this works out just as well! Easier to medicate as well if you needed.

Either way, I suggest you get lots of plants for them, over time of course but they help improve water quality and protect your fish from bad levels of ammonia/nitrite and nitrates! yay ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #34 
LittleDeer

Thank you so much, lilnaugrim, you have been so much help to me. I really appreciate it!

I'm gonna start moving everything from the ten gallon into my five gallon, and I think I may put Gylfie in the five gallon since she seems to be the most feisty and has a lot of energy. She's also the biggest of the three girls. Her color also seems to be brightening up! I thought she was a bluish silver, but she seems to be blue with red radiating out to her fins, almost like tie-dye. I know Ben brightened up a ton after the first week I had him, so I can't wait to see how the girls brighten up and show their true colors. I really think all three are going to be absolutely beautiful girls.

I'm also going to put Alice in my 1 gallon for now. Since they will be living seperately, I figure I might as well get them out of the cups and into something that will give them more space to move and won't get dirty as quickly, even though I'm really good with water changes. Bigger is better, in my book. At least as far as what I currently have on hand. I'm gonna steal a plant from Benny and the cories for Alice, I think, until I get more plants.

Looks like at least half of my paycheck will be going to these girls, but it will definitely be worth it, I think. Despite the trouble with Sonata, I think all three will be just as wonderful as Ben has been. I really wish I had the space for another male. I'd love to get a Dragonscale boy. There are some really beautiful ones at my LPS, but with the girls, I may be at max capacity. Though I've seen how well "max capacities" work out for Betta lovers, haha. For now, I'm content with these four, though. I really look forward to watching them really develop. Every minute I've had Ben has been wonderful, I can only imagine it will only get better with three new girls to watch and interact with.

I never would have thought Bettas would be so incredible. I don't know how I spent so long without them. My stress level has gone down considerably since I've had Ben and the Cories, too. Which is part of why I'm keeping the girls separate. I have severe anxiety, so a relaxed environment is ideal for me, and the stress of worrying about wether the girls will rip eachother apart every day would be too much for me. But just having a bunch of relaxed fish in comfortable environments will be good for me and good for them.

Plus...I get to design more tank setups, which is fun as well. I'm a creative and artistic person, so I really have an eye for designing things.

I really would love to have live plants in my tanks, but I don't really know what type of care live plants need or what plants are ideal for the environments I have. I'm also worried that they may have parasites or something on them since they are living things and can't really be washed or disinfected like plastic and silk plants and decorations.

Also, in the 3.3 gallons, do you think it would be okay to have a snail in each of them with the girls? Or would that be too much for the tanks? I will probably be getting a snail for the five gallon, and I thought about getting one for Ben's tank, but I'm worried he might kill/eat it like he did with the ghost shrimp I had a few months ago. He ate all five within about a week and a half, and I didn't even realize it, so he was getting pellets too. He's such a little piggy.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #35 
LittleDeer

Oh goodness, so I gave Sonata a pellet a while ago, and now she definitely looks a little bloated. She has a bump under her belly now, and she's back to having trouble swimming again. I feel bad, I guess I shouldn't have fed her. As soon as I am able to. She hasn't pooped at all in the past 24 hours, so I guess having fed her, I know she has something in her stomach now, and should be going to the bathroom at some point. She looks very very uncomfortable,now, though.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #36 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I lol'd when you said "Max capacities", it's very true XD I don't know how but I keep finding spaces to squeeze tanks into!

And as far as disinfecting live plants, you are wrong! muhaha, time for another lesson lol, sorry just being silly XD

With plants you can actually QT them for a week or so in regular tap water, the little chlorine that is in there will kill of any/most buggies that might hitchhike as well as unwanted snails. You can also do bleach solution dips with plants.

I make a solution of 1 parts Clorox bleach to 19 parts water in one container and then I have two other's set up. One with just tap water in it for rinsing (or you can rinse under your tap but I was doing this in my bedroom XD) and the last will be the QT container with 4x conditioned water or tap, up to you. But you take the plant, don't let the roots get into the solution but you dip right up in the solution with the plant upside down and let the leaves/stem soak in it for 30 seconds. Take out and rinse under tap or in the second bowl and then place in the QT tank.

But for the most part plants are pretty much all disease free, especially the ones you get from those tubes/bags at petco/petsmart. But I've never actually QT'd plants except for one time and otherwise they just go right in after a trim and voila, planted tank ^_^

As for snails, if you can find Nerite's you can have one in each tank! They poop the least amount of all the snails and cannot breed in freshwater! which is good for smaller tanks too The girls may pick at them but it really depends. My girls wiped out my snail infestation but granted, they were only the size of pin heads and around that. So anyway, yes nerites can go in no problem but I wouldn't put Mysteries/Apple's in anything smaller than 10, he should be fine with Ben though. They're bigger and Ben might harass them a bit when he's first in (make sure to acclimate them) but after a while he most likely won't touch it.

So if you did a nerite in the 3.3's with a girl, you could get plenty of plants in there to help buffer against high ammonia levels. if you have enough plants you shouldn't get any readings from ammonia/nitrites which is great! best thing about planted tanks IMHO ^_^ I think that'd be great for them!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #37 
LittleDeer

Okay, that seems easy enough, haha. Maybe I'll start trying live plants with the girls in the 3.3s when I get them, and then change the other tanks to live plants as well if that all works out. Does it matter what plants I get, or can I just get anything? And will i have to do anything special for the plants when they're in the tank, or do they just kind of chill and take care of themselves?

Also, don't know if you saw my post right before yours, but Sonata is back to having trouble again, since I gave her a pellet earlier. She definitely has a slight bulge in her belly now.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #38 
LittleDeer

I'm thinking of getting one of these for each of the two girls I need tanks for :) I thought it was a 3.3, but its actually a 3.5.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #39 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I saw the post, just let her be for now and get that ES when you can to hopefully help relieve her.

And as far as plants, many are classed as Low light, Medium light and High lighting. Low light plants are the ones you want which include: Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Anacharis, Rotala and Ludwigia (although may grow slower and not be "red" if you get red rotala), cabomda (will be darker green), Water sprite, Water wisteria and common Crypt's also most floating plants as well; duckweed, giant duckweed, frog-bit, salavinia, Dwarf water lettuce, water lettuce, red root floaters and so on

For the most part you can let them do their thing, pluck off dead leaves when you see them and trim as needed. I recommend using SeaChem's Flourish Comprehensive anyway just because the added fert will really help them take off. When plants are first introduced to the tank, they may "melt" or lose leaves, this is completely normal and will come back in a week or so more. It's their way of acclimating to the new water. However if it starts turning brown, then it's dying and you pluck off that leaf or stem so it can grow new ones.

You can also get swords but usually they will do better in higher lighting, they'll do just fine in low lights but will grow slower is all. Also swords are heavy root feeders so using root tabs will greatly help them ^_^

Also when looking at tanks and other equipment always read the user comments to see what most people like of it. It's not always helpful but it gives you a good idea of what you're getting
Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #40 
LittleDeer

I have great news! Sonata is completely better this morning. I think she was constipated, because this morning in the bare bottom of the tank were two long poops. So she had too much inside her little belly. But she seems much happier now. And is continuing to build the bubble nest.

I had also put Gylfie in the five gallon yesterday evening and I woke up to a huge bubble nest in the five gallon. I think she can definitely see Ben from where she is. It's going all the way around the tank, and about an inch wide in the corners. She's been busy, haha. Ben either can't see her, or doesn't care. He doesn't really make bubble nests, unfortunately. But I guess some boys just don't. He's perfectly healthy and seems content, otherwise.

I'm just do glad they all seem pretty happy and healthy now, though. I did get Epsom salt and was preparing to use it today if Sonata was still having trouble, but she looks 110% better right now. Her color is brightening up too. It's interesting how their colors change once they get good water and comfortable conditions. I thought she was black in the store, but she's definitely a dark blue at this point with what i think is black fins. And Gylfie is becoming absolutely stunning, with her blue body and red and blue "tie-dye" on her fins. I don't know much about color types, but she is really pretty and getting brighter every day.