Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #41 
LittleDeer

I actually think I may get two of the rectangle 2.5's for the girls. I don't know if my petsmart even has hoods that small, though. They usually only have the ones for ten gallons or bigger. The five gallons are all in kits from what I've seen, so they come with hoods. I wish there were 2.5 kits using the rectangle ones. I measured my shelf and there's just enough space on my shelf for two of the 2.5's. though it would be pretty tight with hoods. Maybe I will just use Saran Wrap. I'm hesitant about not having a filter on them for any length of time, though. I like to keep the water circulating, and I'd like to at least attempt a cycle, even though they are small tanks. My friend actually somehow got his 1 gallon to start cycling before he moved his HM boy to a 10 gallon. It's not necessary, but I guess it's more for my comfort most likely. I'll be baffling them anyway, to keep the water calm. I have Gylfie's baffled in the five gallon, but I had to lower the water level because she was trying to swim through it because she's small enough to fit and seemed to think there was something interesting there.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #42 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you used Tetra Whisper 3i's you can still hold a cycle and it really doesn't push the water around much. It might be a little too tall though....the first week or so the current is strong but after that it dies down to almost nothing which is fine by me, you're just keeping the filter wet for the beneficial bacteria to grow there

I like the rectangle 2.5's they just look really nice IMHO. Oh and don't worry about them swimming into filters or anything, they'll do it once and probably never again when they realize that they really don't want to be in there haha. But anyway, yeah saran wrap is great for them or you can find some plexi-glass in an home improvement store and have them cut it to the dimensions you want and leave spaces for cords and filters and stuff. You can even hinge it to make it easier for feeding time! I'm not sure how much it costs though, might be worth it to look into it!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #43 
LittleDeer

I was actually looking at getting the whisper 3i's, haha.

And yeah, I think those would look the best and be the most space efficient things I could get for the girls. And I actually think the 2.5's at my petsmart come with a glass lid. If I needed to I could probably have my dad cut some holes for the sticky-outy parts :)

I'm excited, hopefully it won't be too much longer until I can get them. I'm getting paid tomorrow, I just need to find an opportunity to actually get to the store, as I will be rather busy from tomorrow until next Friday house/dog-sitting for my aunt. But I think the girls will be okay until then. The girls in the smaller tanks don't have heaters right now, but its gonna be pretty hot next week, so I think it will be okay. If I keep the door closed in my room, the temperature stays constant. And I'll be home in the afternoon every day to take care of them and my other animals. I'm quite excited, though n_n I think the 2.5's will be perfect for the girls.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #44 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh that is soooo weird.....well tomorrow I'm getting paid but from Saturday to next Saturday I'm also house/dog-sitting for my uncles sister lol

But yes without heaters are just fine for now, it doesn't dip too low at night around here ^_^ and I think if either of us was going to be cooler it'd be me because I live 10 minutes from the ocean, unless you're coastal Mass

Buuuuut anywho! Yes that sounds like a fantastic idea! I want more plants...I'm getting paid tomorrow but I need to save it to pay off someone who bought me a fish here and then a road trip to Niagara falls the weekend after next! (to get more females for the sorority obviously, why else would I do a road trip? lol) anyway yes, that does sound fantastic and I really hope you can get them ^_^ You're girls are going to be super happy!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #45 
LittleDeer

Haha, that is funny.

And I'm in central Mass, I actually live about 15-20 minutes from Woonsocket. The Pet storeI usually go to is in Woonsocket :)

And I really hope they will be, they already seem to be getting more comfortable here :)
Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #46 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh wow, that's too funny! I'm on the southern end of R.I. near Westerly. Well it's nice to know there are people near by! ^_^

I usually go up to Warwick for Petco/Petsmart and then the rest of my LFS's are in Westerly/Narragansett.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #47 
LittleDeer

I've been planning my shopping trip and pricing things out and I'm debating getting two of the medium sized critter keepers, the ones that hold 3 gallons, instead of the tanks. That way I will be able to afford the heaters (I need to get a new heater for Gylfie because the one I was using stopped working since it is very very old). So I need 3 heaters, 2 3i filters, 3 stick on thermometers (I don't trust the glass ones, I'm afraid of them breaking accidentally), more plants (including 4 moss balls, one for each tank), new pellets, frozen bloodworms, a cave or hidey-house for Sonata, a bottle of Stress Coat, and probably some alternative to a siphon for the smaller tanks (possibly a turkey baster?). Plus I need tanks, and I think the most cost efficient would be the critter keepers. And I know they're pretty reliable for the most part, and light. Plus they would have more room in a medium critter keeper than in the 2.5 gallon glass tanks, and the medium ones will fit PERFECTLY on my shelf right next to eachother.

But yeah, just thought I would update you n_n All three girls are doing wonderfully today. I put some gravel and a rock in the small critter keeper Sonata is in so she has something to rest on that isn't bare tank until she gets her permanent home. I felt she needed somewhere to hide too, but its so small in there, so I have a small towel covering a third of the tank so she can hide in that end and feel safe if she needs to. It wouldn't be fair if she had no where to hide or get away from things and feel secure, I know what that's like, being agoraphobic, and its awful :(

All three girls have big bubble nests now, too.

I also turned down the power of the air pump in Ben's tank. I'd like to keep it aerated for the Cories, but I thought maybe the bubbles made too much current and maybe that's why Ben doesn't make bubble nests, because it was pretty strong bubbles. Now it's fairly gentle. I would love to see a nest from him.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #48 
LADY K

if you don't want lids use craft mesh you can cut it for any size openings.
LADY K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #49 
LittleDeer

Thank you Lady K, I would never have thought to do that. That's an awesome idea. I'll probably get a few sheets of it, since its so versatile in the world of aquariums.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #50 
Sweetea

If you wanted to be even cost effective, you can use the sterilite show off bins as tanks. They are at target/walmart, about $6 each. My delta's bin holds about 4g. The only thing you need to do is rinse until the water is clear. Terra cotta pots are good 'caves'...and they are smooth so fins won't rip on them. Just gotta plug in the hole so no one tries to sneak through it. And yeah, a turkey baster is an awesome alternative to a siphon. Really really awesome.
Sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote