Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #71 
LittleDeer

I'm glad its not a bad thing, I was worried.

I ended up getting them each a 3 gallon critter keeper as well as a heater. I found a heater at my LFS that was only $12 and they are adjustable 25w ones! They only had two in stock, though, and I needed a new heater for Gylfie in the five gallon, so I'll have to wait a bit to get hers. I'm also waiting until later next week to get them filters since I'd like to keep some money on hand while I'm house/dog-sitting, just in case I need to go out and get something. But they should be fine without filters, I live a three minute walk from my aunt's house where I'm staying, so I can just walk home to take care of the fish. I won't be setting up their new homes until tomorrow.

I also stopped at the craft store and got some silk plants, they do have wire in the middle, but you said that that's okay as long as it isn't exposed, right? I got three nice big bushy ones for $2 each. I can get about five "plants" out of each of them. I also saw some nice smooth natural looking rocks at the craft store under the decorative marbles and stuff like that, and grabbed a bag just to give the girls some interesting things to explore.

I also found these small ceramic pots for $0.50 each that I grabbed, but I'm not sure if they would be safe to put in the tanks. They were cheap and the perfect size, so I figured I would grab them while I could (they were on sale) and then find out if they were safe. If not I can use them for something else. Do you think they would be okay to put in the tanks?
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #72 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, the plants will be fine as I said if the metal is not exposed

And the ceramic pots are totally fine! Most anything ceramic, glass, terracotta, clay all of those can go into a tank no problems The rocks sound great too!

Yeah it's not dire need that they need the heater/filter at the moment ^_^ my tanks were up at 90 today!! o.O uggg it's hot! Thank the lord where I'm petsitting they have a/c! well we do at home but my grandfather is a butt and doesn't like us to use it.....lammmmeeee
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #73 
LittleDeer

That's all awesome! Oh, I'm so glad the little pots will be safe for them. They are literally the perfect size for the girls, and I got them in colors that will hopefully bring out the girls colors and make them even more beautiful than they already are n_n. I think they will really like the plants I picked out too. One of them has some nice big flat leaves that I think they may enjoy resting on. I'll post pictures once I set the critter keepers up (hopefully tomorrow).
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #74 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yay! Sounds great to me!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #75 
LittleDeer

I think I may start a journal for my Bettas, I feel like that's what this topic has become. I did have time to set up the critter keepers for the girls. Though I had a bit of a setback. The heaters I got are not meant to be completely submerged and I accidentally dropped one of the heaters in the tank while trying to clamp it onto the tank rim. So it got wet inside the glass tube. I shook out as much if the water as I could, but its still a bit damp inside. I'm afraid to use it right now. I'm gonna leave it out until it dries out I guess. I'm not sure what to do. I posted about it in the "aquariums, equipment, accessories" section and Mattsbettas seemed to think it would be okay if it dried out and I tried it. So that's what I'll probably do. But not until I can be home for a full day to keep an eye on it. For now, I did acclimate the girls to their new homes and then released them into them and they seem to be pretty content and curious. They seem a little overwhelmed since they are in actual tanks with plants and "caves" and rocks to explore for the first time. But I'm sure they will be happy in their new 3gallon tanks. I'll be getting filters on Tuesday. I'm not sure with the heaters. I'm going to wait to set up any heaters until I can be there all day, like I said before. I don't want any problems or overheating when I'm not there to fix it immediately. The thermometers said the water was a little above 80 last time I checked when I was home, so they should be set for the week while I'm house/dog-sitting. I'll post pictures of their tanks later tonight or in the morning.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #76 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I saw the post, I figure if you just flip it upside down so that the water can drain and let it dry for a full 24 hours, you'll be just fine

And yes!! You should start a journal and I will stalk you haha
Old 07-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #77 
LittleDeer

That's what I did before I left my house to come back to my aunts. It's sitting propped upside down on my shelf near the new tanks.

The tanks did turn out really nice though. I'm really proud of the plants I picked out. I'll probably add some to Gylfie and Ben's tanks too once I get back home tonight (I don't have to spend the night with dogs on top of me at my aunts tonight since my uncle is coming home for the night because he has a work thing tomorrow. Though I get to spend the whole rest of the week here with dogs on me. I wouldn't mind as much if they weren't collectively about 60lbs of dog. And maybe if it wasn't so hot.)

I'll probably start up the journal tonight once I get home, then. I apologize if its boring. I feel like you'll be the only one really interested xD
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #78 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol yeah I'm pet-sitting two almost fully grown female Boxers and Yorkie terrier. All three jump on me and lick attack me when I sit on the couch and then the Yorkie has to sleep with me otherwise he whines all night long, the spoiled brat lol

And you'd be surprised how many people get interested in journals! I didn't think people were going to look at my journals either but they did!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #79 
LittleDeer

The two precious canine girls I'm looking after are a large pointer/pit mix, who is a big 45lb sweetheart who constantly wants to be in my lap and have make out sessions and the other is a 15lb chihuahua/??? Mix (she's tan and has kind of a foxy looking face), who is also still in her puppy phase so she's all over the place. There was a thunderstorm earlier and they both immediately decided to get as close to me as possible, so I had two dogs being big babies on me for about an hour. We watched The Grudge together xD They are used to sleeping in bed with my aunt and uncle so when I sleep they have to be there with me. The little one burrows under the covers and sometimes kicks in her sleep, and the big one is either on my legs or right next to me on her back trying to lick me half the night. It's so much fun /sarcasm. But they are very sweet girls and well behaved 90% of the time. The little one only gets out of hand when she sees the cat and charges at him. Though she never hurts him.

Well I hope so, I can be almost verbose sometimes when I write/type, so it would be cool to have people willing to actually read that stuff. I post journal type stuff on Facebook (mostly about the fish lately) and everyone ignores them x_x but I do like to talk about my fish a lot. They are basically my children (along with my elderly rat and 2.5 year old rabbit). But I suppose this is a forum for people who really like their Bettas so I suppose this may be the place for me to ramble about mine, haha. Probably would be the best way to get advice too and make sure I'm taking the best care of my Bettas. I know I dot do things perfectly, and I do mess up, but I am trying hard to make them happy and comfortable. This is the first time in a long time I h e been 100% responsible for fish, so I'm still learning every day. Especially about Bettas, since they have become the fish I'm most enthusiastic about. I am worried about people telling me I'm a bad owner or something, though because of the fact that I'm still learning and make mistakes, that's why I didn't post much here initially. But I do welcome all the advice I have gotten since I started actually actively posting. And I love helping others and seeing everyone else's beautiful Bettas.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #80 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, if the two boxers were able to sleep with me, they surely would but they aren't allowed to the bedrooms beyond the fence. Which is alright with me so I won't have two 60lb and a 20lb-ish dogs sleeping on me and licking me in the night >< it's bad enough they lick me in the day time lol

But yeah, I noticed none of my real friends care about my fish so that's why I post here!! lol my dad tries to follow along but it doesn't really help much XD so yes, it's a lot better here where people actually take an interest and it's nice

I know the feeling too, but we're here to help and while sometimes it may get a bit out of hand, we're usually really good about new owners and stuff. It's the reason you post here, is to learn I'm still learning all the details myself! You can never know it all and none of us are perfect ^_^ I'm sure you don't want to hear the tragic stories of my first three Betta's lol, I was SUCH a newb!