Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #81 
LittleDeer

Well, unfortunately my very first Betta lived in a 1 gallon unheated bowl for a year, and when I moved him to the ten gallon I have the filter I used was two strong and I literally goin him torn apart and very dead one day about a week after I had moved him. I cried for quite a whole over him. His name was actually Ditto like one of your boys. He was an all red VT from Petsmart. But now that I actually know the proper way to care for Bettas and what their needs are, I feel awful about how I cared for my first one. I mean I did have him for a year and he seemed healthy, but he was definitely not in a very healthy environment :(

But I think with Ben and the three girls I'm making up for it. And so far so good, even with the few problems I've come across, with the help from you and others on here, I'm being such a better Betta momma this time around.

That's all very true though. Hopefully I'll benefit from posting in a journal on here n_n I just wish I had a decent camera to use. My iPod is all I have and cameras are expensive. I'm currently unemployed and just kind of do jobs for family when I can. Finding an actual job is pretty difficult around here right now.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #82 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I hear you about the job thing, I was lucky enough to get one at the college in the building my mom works in but I've been after it since freshman year, three years ago so....yeah, but I got it! It's only 3 days a week but hey, still better than none! And then yeah, house/pet sitting on the side.

Yeah, my first actual Betta, Gallifrey...well I had him for a whole week in a 1 gallon filtered bowl but ummm well water changing time came around and the water felt nice and warm to me! .....happened that the water was about 110 degree's.....you can tell how that went. And then Scorch was next (yeah named him after Gallifrey's death) and had him for a good 3 months without a filter in the 1 gallon and my dad decided to turn on the filter one day. The filter was in there without the basket because it provided Scorch with a hide from the light. Well the filter went on and by-by fishie as he was sucked up into it. I kind of laughed at it becuase my dad was trying to help me with feeding my fish freeze-dried bloodworms XD but yeah, fail on both our parts. And then my first DT who was red, white and blue named Stony had frozen to death after my heater stopped working.

Gallifrey was a solid red CT and Scorch was a solid red VT but yeah, then I took a break and got Rembrandt when I luckily found him in a PetSense store! They had just gotten their shipment in! And I've had him since
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #83 
LittleDeer

That's awesome that you finally were able to figure things out. Clearly you're doing things right at this point with so many doing so well.

Though your story reminds me of when my friend had a Betta in a bowl a long time ago and his dad thought the fish was cold so he put it ON THE STOVE with one of the burners on low. I don't think it's too hard to figure out how that turned out.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #84 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I seriously went wide-eyed at your story about your friends dad! Oh geez, the poor fishie! Things happen though and then you learn from them, that's what I figure! Yeah I did eventually figure the basic care out lol, still working on upgrading all my heaters to adjustable though but I have time given my tanks were at 90 the other day without heater asist! darn summers >.> wish they'd go away and just leave us Spring and Fall!!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #85 
LittleDeer

I agree. I don't like summer and I don't like winter. I like mild temperatures. But its only ever the right temperature for me maybe two weeks out of the entire year.

But yeah. I turned Ben's heater down because it was getting close to 90, now its staying down at about 82. The girls without heaters have been at a pretty steady 80, even when they were in the small tanks. And I always replace water during water changes with 80 degree water. So I imagine they are at least comfortable without heaters for now. I'm more concerned with them having filters at this point, which I have to wait until Tuesday to get. But they will be fine for now. They're a lot better off in the critter keepers just as they are now than they were in the small tanks though, so there's that.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #86 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Filters really aren't a necessity for tanks, surely it helps but it's not necessary. For beneficial bacteria growth it is but you don't absolutely have to cycle tanks either. As long as you do twice weekly water changes on them around 25-50% they'll be just fine ^_^
Old 07-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #87 
LittleDeer

Yeah, I'm getting them mostly because I'd like to keep the water circulating a bit and they do help. I'd like to have a cycle mostly in the event that I can't do a water change on time, and so I don't have to do as much when I do my water changes. I just feel like circulating the water is more natural than having the water just sit there until I do a WC. Plus it will help to filter out any solid bits that float around. Though I'm gonna get a turkey baster to use in place of a siphon for the gravel in the small tanks. I'd just like to do all I can to make sure the water is nice and clean for them. Even if its not necessary, I do prefer to use filters.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #88 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Definitely! Just saying more that they'll be fine until you can get them without issue ^_^
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #89 
LittleDeer

I was going to start my journal tonight but I just came home to find my rat had passed away unexpectedly and Sonata is having swim bladder issues again (though it looks mild and I think it's from the stress of changing tanks again). I'm quite broken up right now about my rat and worrying about Sonata. I may start the journal tomorrow but I'm not sure. For now I just need to go to bed.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #90 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh no, I'm so sorry That's never fun to deal with I know, I hope s/he is running happy and free under the rainbow bridge where the Betta's swim free

yes, rest is good, I'm off to bed myself. I hope you have sweet dreams.