Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Which male?

The plan would be to breed him to a lemon yellow female with the hopes of losing the red but keeping the blue/white marble. I dislike his tail.

Same plan although I'm not sure how the orange will figure in by breeding to a yellow. I may end up adding back red that I wouldn't want. His caudal is much better but there is the orange to deal with.

Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

Did you already buy them? I remember seeing both of them lol. I think this guy looks like another option too if you haven't bought them yet. He's very affordable as well.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1373451749
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

Nah. Not yet. I'm trying to streamline my breeding as much as possible. I'd like to keep as much stock interchangeable as possible. I know if I work the blue marbles up I can add them into my blue giants for big blue marbles and into my coppers for shiny and hopefully green marbles.

I plan to keep working on my yellow plakat line. It's been hit and miss. I'm sure I will always need a nice yellow handy to get rid of red wash. I'm trying to work them up to giant size as well. Fingers crossed for one show worthy fish by October. I figured since I already have yellows I could work on removing red from something and thought these blue marbles would be fun.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #4 
whatsupyall

Ah okay. Well, good luck. I like male 2 more just because he resembles halfmoon plakat more.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #5 
Darth

You will not be adding red back when breeding to orange, Orange is the NR2 gene {Non-Red} Betta colors do not work like painting colors you will get red in the F1 because non red is recessive, you will need to do a sibling cross so make sure form is very good when crossing to kin, because all the good traits will be enhanced and so will all the bad ones.
Orange crossed to yellow will improve both colors, yellow crossed to Cambodian classic will also improve color...crossing yellow to a chocolate betta {Brown Body Yellow fins} will enhance the yellow there is no gene for yellow or orange the allleles that are responsible are thrice fold, in other words 3 things have to be present to get yellow or orange.
I would use the second male if it was me make sure your female is good body wise to make up for the bad form of these males.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #6 
trilobite

Yeah male 2. First guy has bad finnage which will be harder to correct. I like the guy Whatsupyall posted too, hes probably my favourite one
Good luck with your project
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #7 
Darth

I agree trilobite but, that male looks to have a very short body, and that isn't good because he won't be able to wrap a decent sized female.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

I don't like #2's short almost half circle body. Is that the bad form you are referring to Darth or am I missing something else?
My females are bullet shaped instead of half circle shaped like him. Do I have a better chance of improving body shape or finnage?

I did find another fella but you can't tell much by the photo other than he's longer in the body. It appears he has a rounded caudal as well. I did inquire about him though I haven't heard back.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #9 
trilobite

Hmm true true, I just love his dorsal.

Looks like male 4s topline is a bit uneven behind the dorsal. First dorsal ray is short, uneven branching and round edges
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote