Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #1 
HeadlessLegoMom

Red face Greetings & Salutations!

Hello, I'm Andie. I am a new Betta Mommy and a mother of a two and a half year old little girl. I let her talk me into purchasing Buttercup from a brand new Petco in Manhattan without doing the proper research necessary. I figured that if I could keep a little human alive for two and a half years, how hard could it be to do the same with a fish?! There is a long post about it in the EMERGENCY section where I was looking for ways to keep him alive until next week when his supplies arrive after the pet store did me wrong with misinformation and a defective little tank. Thankfully, I should have the water conditioner by Tuesday. *fingers crossed* Perhaps he will start eating by then as well. I don't think he likes the pellets I got him, so I ordered some Hikari and dried bloodworms, but they won't arrive until July 5th. At first he was spitting the Aquarian food out. I even tried breaking it in half with the same result. Now he just ignores it when I try to feed him. Anyone know how long I shoul wait before removing it? I called the pet store, and they told me to feed him every 3 or 4 days, can you believe that?! If he can hold on until next week, he'll have better food, a bigger tank, a silk plant, a thermometer, and a heater. Until then, we'll try to keep him happy with fresh water, music, songs, and lights. I haven't been a part of a message board in a while, but maybe I will find a home here....
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #2 
invincible4372

Dear HeadlessLegoMom,

You and I are in the same situation! I was misinformed from Petsmart nor did I do the proper research.. I learned my lesson. I'll be getting them new presents later!

Pleased to meet you!
invincible4372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #3 
HeadlessLegoMom

You too! I guess nobody else wants to say hi... Oh well. I thought I might make some friends on here
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Well hello to both of you

We hear over and over again that the pet store employees either aren't educated in proper fish care or they might be under pressure to just make the sales. The good news is that this forum is a great source of information for you so ask any and all questions necessary.

Welcome to both of you and your new fish buddies.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #5 
HeadlessLegoMom

I am just a little overwhelmed trying to decipher between water conditioner, aquarium salt, stress coat, Betta Revive, and Betta Ultimate. Which one(s) do I need to make a safe, healthy environment for my Betta, Buttercup? Do they all get used individually or are some of them meant for silmutaneous use?

My Tetra AquaSafe plus will be here on Tuesday, but if there is anything else I will need for the water, I need to know which ones to get/most effective brands.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
I am just a little overwhelmed trying to decipher between water conditioner, aquarium salt, stress coat, Betta Revive, and Betta Ultimate. Which one(s) do I need to make a safe, healthy environment for my Betta, Buttercup? Do they all get used individually or are some of them meant for silmutaneous use?

My Tetra AquaSafe plus will be here on Tuesday, but if there is anything else I will need for the water, I need to know which ones to get/most effective brands.
Let me take a look at your other posts so I can get a better (or betta) feel for what you've got. It's not as hard as it sounds as long as you have the basics.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

OK - posted my thoughts in your thread here:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...e-week-216650/
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello Andie its a pleasure to have you join us on the forum and I did just now read though your threads and it does sound to me like you have the basic information you need and are going a very good job with Buttercup. I too felt overwhelmed when I got my guy Perseus who was my first fish ever just over a year ago. Hang in there it will all start to make sense after a few days and if there is anything I can help you feel free to ask and I can share with you what I know which is limited since I got lucky with my guy as far as being in good health and a healthy eater as well. It was one of my lucky days when I found and joined the forum it has helped me so much. Best wishes to you and your daughter and Buttercup too.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there invincible4372 its also a pleasure to meet you and happy you decided to join us here in our community, I hope you will enjoy your time here with us
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #10 
Laki

Hello and welcome!!
I kept my first betta Lakitu in a .5g unheated tank for 2 months or so before I found this site :) Don't feel bad. There's a lot of bad info out there on our favorite little friends.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote