Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #1 
sushiisaboss75

Clear betta poop???????

ok so, sushi was constipated for a while. fasting wasnt working and i couldnt put my hands on anything but a pea. so i fed him some and a few days later, he had a bowel movement. i usually scoop them out and observe them to make sure they are healthy. call me crazy but i really do. so heres his poop, sitting in a cup, and i realize that, the inside of it is brown but the rest of it is clear. it is the normal size, and shape of a normal betta dropping. just that its clear. could this be the pea? or idk, a worm? hes acting perfectly normal so idk what it is.... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well there's no picture so I'm willing to bet it was just part of the pea.

Internal parasites are usually white, not clear. If you can get New Life Spectrum or Omega One pellets he'll be much happier and healthier, they have more nutrition for your guy so he won't be constipated all the time. I'd like to see a picture of when he's bloated though
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #3 
sushiisaboss75

i do feed him omega 1. he used 2 eat crappy walmart brand stuff. he's still recovering from that. hes also prone to getting constipation. hes still a happy healthy betta. thanks for the help. i only feed him peas if i really have to. hes bloated right now, but not as bloated
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

+1 to lilnaugrim ^^

And just to add-Peas are very rough on their digestive tracts. Bettas are insectivores which means their body was made for meat. Their tract isn't used to fiber which in rare cases might start to rip them. 0-0 Frozen daphnia is a much more natural laxative. (yummy, too. lol)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #5 
sushiisaboss75

Red face

ya, i know. i just... im only 12 yrs young and my dad cant afford all this stuff for the fish. i c him as a living creature, my dad sees him as a thing that has a brain the size of a pebble.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, I understand. I'm 12 too and my mom thinks I'm wasting my money. haha Just try to make him understand, he will soon.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm glad you did get him the Omega one, I couldn't remember if you did or not. I know parents see it as a waste of money but you can make the most of it with what you have for now and show them how well you can keep them and how happy you can make them just by caring. They'll eventually see how much you love them and how well you care parent's are anything but blind to their children ^_^

Just keep an eye out for your boy and see if he goes back to regular poo. Also something easy that you can do is fill a bucket with conditioned water and set it outside for mosquito's to lay their larvae. You can collect the larvae with a small net if you can find one, give them a bit of a rinse in more conditioned water and you can feed them to your Betta! This is super great quality food and also helps with their digestive tract! Just dump the water every few days so that you don't get tons of mosquito's flying everywhere!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

You're not the only one who examines betta poop on a daily basis!

I would just continue to monitor it. Hopefully, the strange color was just a one time thing. If it happens again (when you don't feed a pea), let us know.

He should be better with the Omega One. (I have a betta who gets constipated a lot. He's been much better since I started feeding him Omega One pellets.)

If he gets constipated again, ask your parents if they have any Epsom salt in the house. If they don't, you can pick it up at Walmart, a pharmacy (like CVS or Walgreens), or a supermarket. It should cost about $1.50. Make sure it contains just magnesium sulfate. (There should be no dyes, perfumes or additives.)

When he gets constipated, you can use about 0.25 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon of water. Take a small amount of water from his tank, dissolve the Epsom salt in it, and pour it slowly into his tank.

Epsom salt has a laxative effect. It may take a day or two to work, though.

Then, when you do the next water change in his tank, just use regular water (with conditioner). Doing this will remove the Epsom salt.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #9 
HeadlessLegoMom

What is Betta poop supposed to look like? Does anyone have a picture? I don't think mine has pooped yet...
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I actually do have a picture! lol my constipated boy Jarvis finally pooped!

This is actually a very large poop, they're normally not this big however it's difficult to tell the size in this one. Basically your Betta's poop should look the color of food that you give him. So if they are brown pellet's it should come out solid looking brownish/orange. Now if you feed pea's then it could turn green or some weird color.

But since most Betta food is brown, you're looking for something orangy-brown hope my obnoxious Betta poop picture taking helps XD

Tags
clear poop, pea, poop, poop or parasite?