Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #1 
Beezu

My first spawn - black and blue HM

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I had tried spawning before, I had a copper HM pair and they embraced and everything and he tended the nest of eggs ever so diligently. for about 3 days. and then the nest broke up and he stopped paying attention to it. and then there were squished looking eggs on the bottom of the tank. no babies anywhere. I was pretty bummed. This happened twice before I decided either the setup, or them, or him. or her. He was such a lovely fellow too.

Anywho. So i got this guy from AB

His name is Burt!

And I got a lady who looks a lot like him. They did their dance and had some eggs on 6/25 and they hatched!! they hatched on 6/27! And now i have itty bitty adorable babies! I am going to guess 50. Hard to tell.

This was the day they hatched.
Burt moved most of them into the plant to it made it really had to count.

I've got bbs and microworms. its so hard to see if they are eating. I really need to invest in a magnifying glass.
Beezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 
Darth

That is a melano male, can you please show a picture of the female?
Betta fry do not eat for the first couple days, they rely on their egg yolk even though it isn't visible, to feed them at that point is only going to ruin your water faster wait until they are free swimming a couple days before your first feeding.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #3 
Beezu

Oh yeah, I didnt put in any microworms until they were free swimming. They started swimming on their own yesterday afternoon. lemme see if i can get a good picture of her. shes a little chewed
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #4 
Beezu

I dont know how those pros get such nice pictures of their fish... heres a mediocre shot of her.

Last edited by Beezu; 06-30-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: fix picture
Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #5 
Darth

Ok, I see a lot of blue melano females are infertile. uperblack females are fertile and so are Black lace.
This looks to be a black and blue bicolor if the female was all black you would not have had a spawn.
Congrats on your first time, and know this....it never gets old!!
Also put her in a quart jar with a half teaspoon of salt for a few days.

Last edited by Darth; 07-01-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #6 
Beezu

Yeah, as much as i've read, I am still not confident in identifying some colors. Especially black. There are too many different kinds of black and not enough clear pictures of each kind to really drill it into my head.

Also, do you think all the babies will be black and blue, or will i get a surprise?

eta: also, i sure wish i had a magnifying glass!!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #7 
Beezu

My wee ones are doing pretty well! i did a wee water change.. only 1/2 gal of the 4 in the tank. and ive been sucking up any mess on the bottom. i use a turkey baster and squirt it into a petco betta cup and stare intently at the water until im absolutely completely 100% positive there are no wee ones in it. I havent taken any new pictures because i cant tell if they are any bigger or not. Ill take one for their first week birthday on thursday.

i cant wait til they grow more!!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #8 
Kittiesdragons

Congrats on your first Spawn! Hope all continues to go well for you!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #9 
Beezu

Here's one of the babies at 10 days old!

I keep having dreams about the fry. I had a dream last night that the fry had suddenly grown to the size of 2 month old fry. they were all off-white colored too.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #10 
DoctorWhoLuver

So cute!

Lol. I've had so many dreams about bettas and betta breeding lately X]
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote