Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #11 
veganchick

ok! Whatever is good! I am just obbsessed with all animals, so any animal I can own and care for is great! Althou I do tend too favor some!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #12 
Kim

Sounds good. My only advice is to watch the entire thing REALLY carefully, even after initial introduction is over and the pecking order is established. I was looking into making my 29 gallon into a nice big sorority, but I've just heard too many horror stories. It's good that you will have plenty of temporary tanks.

Oh, and I recommend quarantining them in their temp. tanks before introducing them to the 10 gallon. I say this because if you plan on having any live plants, most medications will kill them along with the fact that all your fish will be infected. While you can easily isolate and treat a fish with say, fin rot, you do need to treat the entire tank if a fish brings in parasites of any sort. I rescued some guppies that had IP and I moved them into my 15 gal once I thought they were treated. Turns out they were still infected and I had to bleach the entire tank (and bleach-dip the plants which luckily all survived) as well as throw out all my expensive eco-complete. I just wouldn't want the same thing to happen to you.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good advice.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #14 
veganchick

ok, thanks Kim! I have a bunch of places they can go, but I always need my extra tanks or else I start scarring myself! I will put them all in on a weekend morning so that I can watch them all day. The only thing I'm concerned about is when I'm asleep.... So I might leave on their tank light at night the first few nights, but idk cuz it might stress them out...
Old 02-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, its a good idea to do it on a weekend so you'll be home to watch them.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #16 
Kim

I'd turn the tank light off. For the most part they should sleep, so there's less chance for trouble. If your worried you can do what I do if I'm worried about a fish. During the night just turn on the room light and peek in. It should let in enough light to spot any problems, but they won't wake up if you turn it off within a reasonable amount of time. If I leave the light on too long when they're sleeping some of them actually get grumpy with me! Prof. Lupin goes and hides in a dark corner to avoid the light, and the others sort of half wake up and stumble into things with their noses! Then they look at me like "what the heck mom, turn that thing off I'm trying to sleep!"
Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had one betta that was sleeping so soundly I thought he was dead!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #18 
Kim

Prof. Lupin did that to me yesterday! He was just lying on the bottom completely motionless, then he woke up and darted back into the darkness. I mean, what can I do, I've got to turn the light on to get ready for bed!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hahaa. Well, he can sleep in his cave if the light bothers him so much.lol Bettas are SO particular. lol
Old 02-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #20 
veganchick

lol! I agree! Oh, do you guys think it would be ok to keep the bettas in 2.5g bowls for a few days? I just want to qt them for a short amount of time to make sure they are healthy and stuff before I put them all together