Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #1 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Out of university project

I would like to ask for the help of people on this forum and beyond in a small project that has been bouncing about in my mind, namely the making of an informational booklet about the care and history of the Betta.

I understand guide books are out there yes, but lets face it, the person likely to buy a book these days either knows everything about fish already and wants to be sure OR has money to burn. Few people have access to something concise, correct and free.
Any google search will dig up a plethora of different conflicting opinions, its likely time something we can if not agree on..then at least grudgingly accept, was widely available.

Its only a pet project and who knows how long it may take, but I ask for the help of any fellows on this site who would like to see such a project come to fruition.

I hope to make two versions, a short guide and an extended one, both would cover but not be limited to=
History of the Betta (wild and domestic) -
myths and facts -
physical qualities/types -
housing and care -
diet and special needs -
a small guide on emergency medical concerns (not severely detailed, just a starting point for people in need)

I ask people primarily at this time for links or to perhaps pm me listed sources of information on any of the topics I covered no matter how odd or obscure, the more info I collect now the more accurate the work can become. I understand not everyone can agree on everything (we all see the polite struggles over tanks size after all) but the idea is to improve the quality of lives of many fish in many ways, not one single fish that is lucky to have a millionaire owner.

I also ask for peoples opinions as to if they feel I missed anything that should be covered. It's important all important information is covered

Once a decent template is created I also hope that people commercially selling their fish wouldn't mind donating pictures for template pictures (all properly referenced and produced with permission of course) but that is for another day. Words first, pretty photos later!
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

A small update is that I am having real trouble locating useful recources about betta history. Websites while useful are not legitimate information to most sources and so I keep going in giant circles, everyone referencing everyone else.

Does anyone have suggestions for referenced guides?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #3 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I'll assume this is just a personal interest of mine then.

I'v found a few bits and pieces of accredited work so I'll find as much work on my own that I can use.

Thanks for reading the thread so far but I won't update it if its just me rambling.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #4 
Fenghuang

I think this is a great idea. I don't have any books on betta care, but I know they are out there. I have seen some before in stores and at the local library. I will take a look when I have a chance, if this is still open.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I can certainly keep people updated and can keep this thread going :) I need the help it is true or I may miss vital information.

Thanks so much for the interest and help
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #6 
BettaLover1313

I would be very interested in learning the history of bettas; I have seen books on betta care at Pet Smart, but I've never seen one that touches on the history of them. That would definitely be very interesting!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote