Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #1 
Ange1seyes

Oh no! Torn Fin! What to do?

Bubbles is in a 3 gal filtered, non-heated tank. Temp is 76* and has live plants and a cave to hide out in. I do water changes 2 times a week. He gets fed betta 3-4 betta pellets 2x day and gets fasted 1 day. 1 day a week for breakfast he gets a few bloodworms and 1 day he gets a couple brine shrimp (not live but frozen). Yesterday was his fasting day. Water is within all parameters.

This morning when I turned his light on to feed him he had a huge tear in his bottom fin. And the entire bottom fin looks shredded. I think he got caught at the intake for the filter. He ate breakfast just fine and doesn't seem to have much trouble swimming but his color wasn't very vibrant and he seemed rather tired so it may have just happened this morning.

I did a 1/3 water change. I added a little (1/2 tsp) of aquarium salt and also added some stress coat+ to his water. I am stopping to pick up a heater on my way home (tank has been at consistent 80* up until now).

In the picture you can see that the fin ripped all the way back to his body as there is a tiny spot you can see all the way through. I've circle the part you can see how far back the rip went. The bottom fin to the left of the circle is just shredded and looks like strings. I couldn't get a picture of him dropping it to show it.

This makes me sick as he was so beautiful before.

What do I do? Help please!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ange1seyes; 07-02-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: forgot to add picture
Ange1seyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #2 
Ange1seyes

Bump

Anyone? I will be leaving work to head home soon with a stop at the pet store along the way. Any suggestions?
Ange1seyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Warm, clean water is the best for healing torn fins. Aquarium salt will help too. You might want to put something over the intake valve so this doesn't happen again. Some people use pantyhose for that, and say it works great.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torn fin