Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #1 
Kittiesdragons

Causes for acidic water?

Hi, I have a 2.5 with a single betta and possibly a really small pond snail. I say possibly because I saw him yesterday but I haven't seen him today. I have been keeping an eye on my water params very closely due to my betta having developed fin rot. In my tank I have live plants and a sponge filter. Nitrites, Nitrates, and Ammonia all test 0 (finally!) usually my water tests alkaline 7.8. Now it's testing 6.2! The last time it did this I ended up having lost my mystery snail and my moss ball! I don't know how to lower the acid without completely tearing it apart... Which I'm afraid will ruin my cycle!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #2 
Xeek

There can be situations where the water that you get from your tap is a high pH and overtime it settles to a lower pH. There's very little you can do cheaply. A lot of people just store water for their water changes, so the water has time to settle and the chlorine goes away. This is obviously easier to do when you have a 2.5 gallon tank - you can keep a 10 gallon bucket of water stashed away for future changes. If your water's pH changes over time like this it could be a result of minerals in your pipes, not worth investigating though.

There are other cheap methods that would not be recommended. You can buy pH conditioners that will immediately change the pH of your water. They're not permanent and will make your water likely even more unreliable.

The best option is just to deal with the water you have and not try to change it. That means doing the first thing I mentioned above. If you want to change your water reliably it get really expensive. Reverse Osmosis systems for example.

Do you have plants? If you could decrease the frequency of your water changes you might could just buy distilled water by the gallon (it'l have a pH of 7). It's sold in grocery stores. It also may be wise to supplement the distilled or reverse osmosis water with your tap water so that there are some minerals still there.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #3 
Xeek

Oh btw, pond snails are pests. The females don't need males around to reproduce. I wouldn't care if he died. Get a good snail that does the cleaning for your (a Nerite for example) that can't reproduce so fast.

Did you ever add anything to your water? Chemicals? Something for finrot?
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #4 
Kittiesdragons

I have live plants and my tap tests as alkaline which means it's something dead/dying or something I put in my tank. :( I have added nothing unusual to my tank in the last few days. I did add a walmart tank decoration that seems to be made out of some type of untreated clay?
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote