Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

2 pellets at most per day is good. Bettas can survive a while without food so they'll be fine until their swim bladder issues get solved.

Also, if you're adding some more Epsom to Professor's, make sure to do it over the course of a few hours because the salt can cause the pH to lower.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #12 
majesticstorm

usually, 2 pellets is fine, but NLS is much smaller than the normal pellets, so more would be needed, but let's wait til their swim bladder issues gets better.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #13 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
Yeah, I think it's too little. I use NLS betta too, and I feed my boys twice a day, at LEAST 4 pellets each time. My doubletail eats 4 pellets each time while my other two eats 5 pellets each time because they are plakats and more active. I've had no swim bladder issues at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
2 pellets at most per day is good. Bettas can survive a while without food so they'll be fine until their swim bladder issues get solved.

Also, if you're adding some more Epsom to Professor's, make sure to do it over the course of a few hours because the salt can cause the pH to lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
usually, 2 pellets is fine, but NLS is much smaller than the normal pellets, so more would be needed, but let's wait til their swim bladder issues gets better.
Hmm. I'll think I'll stick with two, but it's just as likely I'll end up doing three. I have eye-balled the size of pellet vs betta's eye before, the thought process being that that's how big their stomach is and all, and two average sized ones fit nicely. Like you said, I'll cross that road once the current problem is fixed. x]

I know they should be fine...but I still feel concerned about the time without food!! Oh dear, I suppose it's just my tendency to worry that's making me wishy-washy about it. I'm not sure what you mean by Professor and the Epsom salt though....are you saying that if I increase the dosage of salt in his container to do it slowly? (Sorry, easily confused and often very blonde, hah.)

And to heat their containers I ended up filling the previously mentioned jars with HOT water and set them in the containers....theory being that the heat should leak into the containers and provide decent warmth. Good idea, bad idea, any other ideas?

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 07-01-2013 at 08:15 PM.
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelrahLayna7 View Post
I know they should be fine...but I still feel concerned about the time without food!! Oh dear, I suppose it's just my tendency to worry that's making me wishy-washy about it. I'm not sure what you mean by Professor and the Epsom salt though....are you saying that if I increase the dosage of salt in his container to do it slowly? (Sorry, easily confused and often very blonde, hah.)
Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry if it wasn't that clear.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #15 
jadaBlu

I could see why you'd restrict food if you think they have swim bladder problems but see if they perk up a bit if you increase rations. At least 4 pellets once a day at first and if that goes ok maybe a little more.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #16 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Quote:
Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry if it wasn't that clear.
No, it was all me! I'm not planning on increasing the dosage as of right now, since Professor seems to be the least affected of them all, but if I need to I'll totally do as you advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I could see why you'd restrict food if you think they have swim bladder problems but see if they perk up a bit if you increase rations. At least 4 pellets once a day at first and if that goes ok maybe a little more.
That sounds like a pretty good idea.....Heh, like I keep saying, I'm going to wait until they're better to tackle the feeding bit, but I know my feeding habits need tweaking and so that will be the next project for sure. :]

And update for today: The jars filled with hot water kept the temp at a decent level, though not as high as I'd like. I'm going to keep playing with it, maybe even fill it more or change it just as I'm getting ready for bed. I've changed the water for today and there seemed to be some slime coat floating in there. Could the stress have made them 'shed' it some or is it possibly something else that needs very close watching?

Professor's swimming around pretty easily, and Diva's doing alright. Temple seems a bit quieter and she's not moving very much. I'm not sure if it's because the lower temps slowed her down or if she's feeling worse or a combination of the two. All of them seem slower, so I'm inclined to say it's the temperature. All the more reason to get the temp warmer.

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 07-02-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #17 
HazelrahLayna7

Nothing much to report. Professor and Diva seem to be doing pretty good but Temple is almost at deaths door. Not sure what to do about it and not sure even what I could do. Definitely trying to keep her container heated, we'll see how this all goes.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #18 
HazelrahLayna7

Today Temple is pretty much gone. She doesn't move at all and I don't know if she's breathing.... her eyes are still black, but they're very dim and have no focus.

And now Diva has no control over swimming and is laying on her side at the bottom of the container like Temple had. Professor seems to be doing fine....I wonder if doing 2 teaspoons of epsom salt for the girls ended up hurting them.

Well, either way, I'm going to lower the dosage of salt in Diva's container, I don't see what harm it would cause besides that it would take longer to kick the swim bladder issue... I know from Lebron to add more salt I would have to do it over a stretch of time, but to take it away would I be alright just acclimating her to the less salty water?

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 07-05-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

I am so sorry with what's going on with your girls...

As for acclimating, you don't have to stretch the acclimation time if you want to lower the dosage. Just do the normal acclimation way to acclimate them with the less salty water. (float the cup/bag, drop in some water, etc. etc.)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #20 
HazelrahLayna7

Quote:
I am so sorry with what's going on with your girls...

As for acclimating, you don't have to stretch the acclimation time if you want to lower the dosage. Just do the normal acclimation way to acclimate them with the less salty water. (float the cup/bag, drop in some water, etc. etc.)
Thank you for the reply. Have had a busy day and am going to do water changes in a moment.

Professor is degrading too, when I first saw him he was at the bottom on his side. He swam a bit afterwards, but not much. Diva still has no control over her swimming and up and down(Turns around and upside down while attempting swimming.). Temple is gone for sure. Is there anything beyond what I'm doing now to help Diva and Professor?

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 07-05-2013 at 08:46 PM.