Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

Question So...whats it doing??

So as you know Ive been cycling Fishys tank like forever nowl. It did go thru the ammonia spike,nitrite spike and nitrates when he was in the 5.5 gallon tank. Then i transferred him to a 10 gallon,with same filter. hes been in there maybe 4 weeks or so....All ive seen so far with my tests is ammonia. It did get up to maybe a 1 at the highest. I of course kept up with wcs to get it down. It was holding at .5 for awhile as well,wcs for that too. I did a big wc the other day,since i was sick and didnt do much of anything for a couple days. I tested his water last night and its somewhere between 0 and .5. And no nitrites or nitrates.
So heres my question lol. What do yall think its doing? Think its near the end,and it just had an ammonia spike when it first got transferred to the 10? Cause as i said ive seen no nitrites or nitrates at all. Now i see a low ammonia reading (yay!!!) im just kinda confused...as to where it may be...in the cycle process. Help??
Also i did have the ph raise a couple times,i tested my tap water and thats what was going up. My tank is down to 7.2 now. It was up to the highest on the card,7.6 i think. My tap was bout 8 for awhile. I think it went down again. So yeah.....help??

Last edited by fishyinpa; 03-03-2009 at 01:38 PM.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I found some notes I took from a past thread about cycling. My notes say that once nitrites are gone, then the tank is fully cycled. I think your ammonia should be zero.I think the nitrates need to be at 10 to 20 ppm. I hope this helps. Someone who knows a LOT more than me needs to answer your questions. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #3 
fishyinpa

Haha thanks. I dunno either. I know they say itll have some nitrates,but some tanks have none...depends on the bioload....and its one fish so theres not much there for bioload lol...Im thinking its almost done though. Its been like 6 weeks or so for it. :)
Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

What is your ammonia at?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #5 
fishyinpa

The color i got was not 0 but not .5 so....somewhere in there...haha...
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hate those color charts! I test my pool water one week out of the summer every year (except this year I'm taking off). We have to do it 3 times a day and its a pain in the butt.Sometimes the color is so close it could go one way or the other.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #7 
fishyinpa

Exactly lol...so hard to tell...even the other tests arent always easy to read. Like the ph test...wish there was an easier way...but unless you work in a lab of some sort, i dont think there is. oh well.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, well. You just have to do the best you can. lol
Old 03-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #9 
fishyinpa

Oh my gosh. I am like almost afraid to say it.....but....ive checked and rechecked,Fishy has even been fed during this last week....i do believe his tank is....Cycled! I even went downstairs to the good light to make sure i was seeing correctly lol....im so happy! as im sure Fishy is too. And hes fine as far as i can tell...i also had an extra filter in there that goes with Morados filter for a few weeks so he should have an almost instant cycle right? woot! just gotta add sponge for pandas tank,few weeks and they will be cycled! :)
Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

YAY! Glad to hear that your tank is finally cycled!! So it won't be long before the stooges and Fishy move into their new home. Actually, Fishy has been in the tank while it cycled, hasn't he?