Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Is He Blind?

I'm posting this here since it is a disease question, but it's not my betta. I noticed a betta at work today with a white rim around his eye, and his eye was light enough you could see his pupil in the middle. I've never seen a fish with an eye like this before. He didn't seem to notice me looking at him, although he did respond to me picking up his cup. He appears to be a white DTPK. He's beautiful color, although his body looks a little funky (kinda fat and short, as opposed to long and lean). Anyway, I'm trying to determine if there is something wrong with his eyes or not. Anyone have any experience with this?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So like he had white for his iris's and then had a light colored pupil? Is that what I'm reading? or is it a white ring just around his eye socket?

As for body he could have had a parent with the DT gene which usually will make the bodies short and stumpy like.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

He had a white ring around the outside of his eye. Then a light colored iris and dark pupil.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Probably not then, usually if they're blind they'll have a similar effect of cloudy eyes or scaling over the eye is most obvious but he probably just bored and didn't feel like watching people anymore or became insensitive to his surroundings until you picked him up. You'd have to watch to see if he goes after food or has trouble finding it, that would be a good indicator usually unless he's really sick in general.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Probably not then, usually if they're blind they'll have a similar effect of cloudy eyes or scaling over the eye is most obvious but he probably just bored and didn't feel like watching people anymore or became insensitive to his surroundings until you picked him up. You'd have to watch to see if he goes after food or has trouble finding it, that would be a good indicator usually unless he's really sick in general.
I don't feed him so, I can't easily watch. They just came in on a new shipment. There are some gorgeous bettas in this group. I've never seen an eye like that before. It reminds me of a Weimeriner. The pupil itself isn't clouded over, so I figured he was okay. But, my uncles blind and his pupil is still dark so figured I'd ask.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

There is a possibility, I wouldn't really doubt it if he does continue to be unresponsive to movement I think he should go to a nice caring home! hinthint XD
Old 06-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #7 
bettinha

My fish is like that too, and it is a bacteria called popeye. I'm treating him with Maracym 2
bettinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's not always Popeye, it does usually start with a ring around the eye but you'd see the eye swelling immediately, if there's no swelling then there's nothing to worry about. You can also treat popeye with 2 teaspoons of dissolved Epsom salt to release the fluids and reduce swelling in the eye.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
There is a possibility, I wouldn't really doubt it if he does continue to be unresponsive to movement I think he should go to a nice caring home! hinthint XD
That's why I was asking. If he was blind I was going to take him home. I don't work again until next weekend (I only work Saturdays). I think I'll go in and check on him on Tuesday. If I'll try to get a response, and if I can't get anything from him I'll bring him home.

Yeah, I don't think it's popeye because there is no swelling. His eyes are normal sized, just oddly colored.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd definitely like to see a picture at least, might give us a better clue too good luck with him ^_^