Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #1 
justmel

Shipping bettas in warmer weather

Need some tips on shipping bettas in warmer weather. Going to ship bettas for my first time next week and it will be around 90 degrees where I am. Do I need to get an ice/cold pack? If I do get one, do I use it the same as a heat pack? Also, what kind of cold pack am I looking for? Any other tips you think I should know please feel free to share!
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

I wish I tested this before I sent out my fish, but I'm fairly confident the insulation will keep water temperature safe for bettas. Bettas just went out Monday, will let you know how it goes when a member here and others respond back about DOA tomorrow lol. I will also have to test how water does being insulated with cold pack. Might be a while til then, I'm really busy lately.

P.s. I didn't use cold pack.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #3 
justmel

Well, I'm sure your coast is as hot as mine, if not hotter. If yours make it I should be safe. I just wish I knew for sure. Hope everything works well for you.

How would you test it anyway? Ship a bag of water with a thermometer to see the results?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #4 
whatsupyall

I don't have any cold pack to test, but what I will do is place the package in my car. Then check later the day to see how high temperature is. Everything will be as is with the package except no fish. :) I don't know how hot usps trucks get in the trunk, but I'm sure it can't be as bad as a car with sunlight shooting through directly. So if this test pass (temperature < 90, it will be a success assuming temperatures that day is 100 or more. You'll be surprise with how well insulation can hold up to it's name. :P I'm very excited about this, hopefully I can get this done by Thursday. If this fails, I will definitely consider cold packs, and also test that to see if it will drop temperature below 70 or if it even keeps the water safe for fish, 2 days minimum to be reasonable, or however long the brand claims to keep cool. This will have to wait after the first experiment though.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

I'm getting some Bettas tomorrow shipped from NY to TN. Our temps have been in the 90s. I'll let you know how he shipped and if the Bettas are in breather bags.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #6 
justmel

Thanks Russell, that will help too. My bettas are going to NY.

I think I will do a test myself Whatsupyall, thanks for explaining how you do one!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #7 
whatsupyall

First package just arrived at buyers home. Said all fish were fine and lively. However, I believe temperatures were in the 90's those three days. So it's not a fair to make a claim that it's safe to ship in the 100's.... not yet at least.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #8 
justmel

Good to hear. Glad they made it to their new home safe and sound!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #9 
whatsupyall

Just got wind that all 15 fish made it alive from California to Florida.
However, I still believe the temperature was not in the hundreds during this week. Will have to confirm this test still in the day to come.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #10 
justmel

It shouldn't be getting in the hundreds where I am shipping from or to, only in the upper 80's. So, you just shipped as normal? Regular insulation and everything, right? I am real nervous about this, as I am sure everyone is the first time they ship. I'm actually sending my pets, so I have a real attachment to them. 2 of my favorites are going even.

Thank you both for helping me and me fish out. :)