Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #1 
Livelifelaughlove

sushi needs to get fasted?

So i was cleaning out sushi's bowl the day before yesterday (saturday the 28th) and i saw that sush is a little bloated, but not in the back like most betta pics i have seen. If he was a human, it would be his chest area. Any idea? its not really bad, but it is a little fatter than the rest. I dont' know if i am feeding him to much or what.
so he gets fasted for a few days to see if it gets any better.

I am hoping to get him in the new tank this week, whenever i end up getting it. So who knows. i would take a pic, but its not really in a easy place to.

Any ideas? is he just getting fat? i know he isn't constipated... He can't be egg bound since he IS a guy.
I am hoping i caught this in time to prevent anything...
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

How much do you feed him and how many times a day? I feed mine 2-3 pellets twice a day. On Sundays I fast them. He might just be getting a little fat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #3 
Kim

The area you are describing is his stomach area. I'd just cut back a little on how much you are feeding him (how much is that anyway?) and he should be fine ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #4 
Livelifelaughlove

2-3 pellets once to twice a day. and blood worms about once every 3 days * i know, but i like to spoil him *
I figured he was just getting chuby. all should be fine. Ill let you know if it gets worse.
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #5 
Kim

That doesn't sound excessive, so I'm sure he'll be fine :) Maybe he's just gotten lazy and isn't working it off lol.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #6 
veganchick

you could put him in a bare bottom tank/ bowl for a few days to see if he poops, and it looks normal.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

You need to put him on an exercise program. Make him do 20 laps around his tank a day. lol Just teasing.:)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #8 
Nataku

Dramaqueen - even though you're joking, I've read on several other sites that in Thailand betta breeders there actually do make their bettas exercise by placing them in a large round bucket or earthenware jar, and then swirling the water gently in a circular motion, which will cause the betta to swim against the current. They say it should never be done for more than five minutes at a time, and only a couple times a week, as the betta's long fins create so much drag in the water it wears them out, but its supposedly one of the techniques used to 'toughen up' their bettas to keep them in peak performance.
Of course, these are also people who still fight bettas, something I personally dont' approve of (to each their own though). But I do have to wonder if the exercise and conditioning program itself would be beneficial to bettas even if they were not fought. Perhaps a stronger betta also has a more sound immune system and is less likely to fall ill or become bloated?
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think I read something about someone gently "chasing" their betta around with a net to keep it active and it helped it live a longer life.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #10 
Nataku

Its entirely possible that it could help. Obesity in humans caused by overfeeding and inactivity kills thousands every year, perhaps the same can be said of bettas. Afterall we feed them regularly (perhaps even overfeed them considering their activity levels) and they needn't run from any predators, or patrol large territories since we keep them in tanks or fight any other males. Tank bettas become pretty sedentary when viewed in that manner.

I wouldn't train one by chasing him with a net, because I wouldn't want him to get wise to the idea and always run really fast from it, I'd never be able to catch him if I needed to! Then again, I don't use a net to catch my betta anyhow, I use a cup, as I rather think that the betta could catch its fins in the net and tear them.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote