Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #1 
Kim

I'm looking for some imput on some ideas please

Ok, I'm thinking out loud.

I was wondering how many of you would actually take a recovered rescue betta? I heard that Petco gives away the really sick ones for free and then I had a thought. Obviously I can't just keep adding more and more and more bettas to my house because I'll run out of room, money, and time eventually. So, I was thinking that if I took say one at a time, treated it, and then offered it up for adoption, how many people would actually be willing to take one in? The only thing is that you would have to pay for shipping unless you're near me, which will be at least $15 for overnight and maybe a few dollars to cover packaging and medication expenses. So there lies the problem - I don't know if people would be willing to pay the shipping. So, I'm just looking for some imput. If I get a positive response, then I'll explain the rest of my plan.

My other idea for a summer project is maybe breeding a pair of bettas. But then I'd have to find homes for them all. Would people be more interested in buying a higher quality betta that I bred myself? It'd be a nice way to stop supporting chain stores.

So, those are just a few of my thoughts that I've been having. Tell me what you think .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #2 
NaomiiSmith

i would rather pay to adopt one than buy from a chain store, they dont know how to treat the litlle guys!!
NaomiiSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #3 
Livelifelaughlove

I would adopt one Kim, just would have to give me a little warning so i could get him a tank... and sweet talk my parents.
Where do you live abouts? *not nec. the town. just kinda near by*
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you bred your bettas, I would be interested in taking one or two babies. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Actually, I'd have to take about 3 to make the shipping cost worthwhile. :) I would LOVE to have baby fish bred by someone instead of bought at a petstore because if they are from a good breeder, you know they're healthy.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #6 
happyfish

I would buy/adopt one from you too Kim!! I agree with dramaqueen about taking more than one too for shipping cost. And also would need time to set up some new tanks!!
happyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #7 
fishyinpa

That sounds like a great idea! If i had room id adopt a couple from you too...I like your idea of rescuing sick ones and adopting them too...Thatd be wonderful for those poor bettas!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #8 
Kim

I'm glad to see that this post is getting some positive response .

As far as rescue bettas go, here's my thoughts on how it could work.
It'd have to be one adopter at a time. We could figure out the shipping cost via PM (to keep things private) and decide if you would still like to go through with it. If you're still interested we could then open a thread to communicate and for me to post updates (I think it would be good for other prospective adoptees to see the process as well). You could give me an idea as to what you'd prefer regarding tail type, color, etc. but it would have to be on the condition that you will get whatever is available (as this is a rescue after all). I'd then go pick out one, two, or "maybe" three bettas probably from Petco's back room that I would have to get for free (otherwise it's not really helping the bettas any) depending on how many you would like. I'd treat them for any ailments, updating periodically, and then ship them to you when I am sure they are healthy. I'll have to find out how payment would work (it'd only be shipping and maybe a few dollars to cover the cost of meds - I'm not looking to make money here). As far as prior notice, you'd have plenty. I'm not planning on starting anything until I'm done stocking my 29 gallon and my QT tank is empty. Then, you'd still have the time as I'm treating your betta.

As far as breeding goes...
What I'm interested to know is what you all would like in a betta. Would you want a "quality" betta, or just a nice pet? I have 5 bettas as you probably know, but they are all petstore finds. I also need to research more about genetics to know what would happen if, say, I were to cross my super delta with one of my females (one is a veiltail and one is plakat). If I find out that the cross would still result in desirable looking fry, if not breeding quality because of the mixed genes, would people still be interested? I could maybe get a nice pair of actual quality fry from aquabid or someone else, but this would be more expensive for me. Also, because of the high price of setting up a breeding setup, I'd have to charge for the fry, but not a lot (no more than a pet store betta and most likely less) and I could give you a discount on mulitples. Shipping would be the same deal as above. All fry would be guaranteed healthy.

So, ideas, imput? If say people are interested in each idea, but can only get a few bettas, which idea would you go for first? Of course I need to make sure I have enough homes for all the fry if I do decide to breed. Also, I have a few requirements for prospective homes, but don't worry, they're not excessive .
-each betta would need a heated 2.5 gallon minimum tank (females could be kept in a sorority).
-I require pictures of the setup before shipping, and after with the fish in them so that I know they made it alright (just because I love all my bettas and want to make sure I am doing right by them).
-I am going to ask you questions to determine your knowledge before I work with you. Don't be offended, it's just me being over-protective again .

As a side note, in either scenario I could ship some "extras" to you for free if you want them. I've got an everlasting supply of fancy guppies (not to be used as food please!) so I could ship you as many as you desire within reason. Who knows, I may even have some cory fry once they get transferred to the 29 gallon that I could ship to you as well . If my plants are growing really well I could also include some clippings. See, I'm a nice person lol.

So what do you think? I really appreciate any thoughts or opinions as this is the first time I've ever thought of attempting anything like this. I think it would be a nice way to participate in the hobby, but I want to make sure that my ideas will work before jumping right in. Ok, I'll end my novel now , talk to you later!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #9 
Kim

Oh, and don't feel that you will offend me. If you prefer say to have a betta that I've bred instead of a rescue, please say so! I won't be offended, after all you're still helping bettas by not supporting cruel store practices. The same goes for the other way. I'm looking for genuine imput here, not cushy, softie stuff ;)
Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Actually, I could only house one in a proper sized tank. And I don't have a digital camera. :(