Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #1 
snowflake311

Isolated condition or let them see?

I am feeding my fish everything they will eat and lots of it making sure they are well fed but not over feeding. I am doing extra water changes for both. My male and female cant see each other. My female is getting very round. Both are active and healthy. I am going to introduce them on Monday.

So should they see each other before the big day. Or should I just put them together and keep a close eye. I was reading about the different ways to breed them. Looks like in Thailand they just add the male and female together in a bowl and let the magic happen. Then here people like to keep the female in a cup till both look ready but I feel this would just add frustration to both and extra stress.

So I just want to add them together no cup in a 10 gal with floating plants and some moss for the fry to eat off of.

What do you find works best. If you have used different methods.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #2 
Myates

Since this is your first experience, and the fish's first time.. I would keep them separate in the tank - place her in a cup or chimney until he started a nest, etc, then release her.. once you know whether or not they are a little gentle or rough, I wouldn't risk just tossing them in. Once you get more experience as well you will be able to judge better and know what to look for :) I only toss in pairs without separation with certain ones.. I've had some real nasty males/females that would nearly kill (and in some cases have killed) their mate regardless how ready they were..

I get better response from the pairs when they are kept in isolation for a week or so prior to breeding.. but that is because when they aren't being prepped for breeding they can see other males/females 24/7 and I just use the isolation to "reset" them and make them eager to be with another.

I am similar to the "Thai" way in my breeding, as since my pairs I use now are pretty good, I don't keep them separated, and I breed in containers about the size of a regular shoe box.. I don't give them much room..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #3 
snowflake311

I think I will use a 5gal bucket to spawn them in. Seems like a round container is better then square. I will transfer the fry to a grow out tank once they get bigger.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote