Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #21 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

im going to breed the white and mustard on page one, ive worked with blues and my blue is almost 2years old so I wouldn't breed him. but he has awesome fins other than one of his vertical fins a crooked and amazing color(in person my camera sucks) and I should have bred him. I was just using him as an example of how he changed color as he grew up
TorisExtraordinaryBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #22 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post

Now, are you wanting to breed your blue marble male? That's fine. Find a blue female. You should end up with solid blues, marble blues and butterfly blues. Since he doesn't have a mask I'd pick a female that also doesn't have a mask. If you cross them only for one generation you will get varying degrees of masking. It's messy looking IMHO.
im not planning on breeding him he's 2 years old. and he didn't stay a marble the picture I used for my profile Is what he looks like now. he was just used as an example.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #23 
Ilikebutterflies

OK. Good luck.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #24 
Myates

Nothing wrong with breeding a 2yr old.. that age won't change any outcome :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #25 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Nothing wrong with breeding a 2yr old.. that age won't change any outcome :)
IT WONT!! i'm excited now. he's normally next to my female tank and I moved his tank closer to my bed so I can see him more and my new butterfly CT female was there and he made the biggest bubble nest I have ever seen it was about 1/4in thick and coved half the tank and he did this within 2 hours, and hes never made a nest before or even take any interest in the females so I think he likes her

other than that curved vertical fin, does his fins look ok... I cant get any flaring pics, he wont flare, he's actually pretty calm for a betta him and my old betta Ted actually shared a 10 gallon tank for two years until Ted passed away at age 6
Old 07-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #26 
Myates

Nope. People use younger ones for the most part because they tend to be more willing to breed.. but with the male, his age shouldn't affect anything - I've bred both older and younger bettas.. my eldest ones end up with many more eggs.

Just make sure to separate him from view of other bettas during conditioning so he isn't "desensitized" to seeing a female all the time.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote